Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
|1||Balaam, leaving divinations, prophesies the happiness of Israel.|
|10||Balak, in anger, dismisses him. |
|15||He prophesies of the Star of Jacob, and the destruction of some nations.|Verse 1
And when Balaam saw
that it pleased the LORD to bless Israel, he went not, as at other times
, to seek for enchantments
, but he set his face toward the wilderness.
- 22:13; 23:20; 31:16; 1 Samuel 24:20; 26:2,25; Revelation 2:14
- at other times
- to seek for enchantments
- Heb. to the meeting of enchantments.
And Balaam lifted up his eyes, and he saw Israel abiding
in his tents according to their tribes; and the spirit
of God came upon him.
- 5; 2:2-34; 23:9,10; Song of Solomon 6:4,10
- the spirit
- 11:25-29; 1 Samuel 10:10; 19:20,23; 2 Chronicles 15:1; Matthew 7:22; 10:4,8; Luke 10:20; John 11:49-51
And he took up
his parable, and said, Balaam the son of Beor hath said, and the man whose eyes are open hath said
- he took up
- whose eyes are open hath said
- Heb. who had his eyes shut, but now opened.
- 4,16; 22:31
He hath said, which heard the words of God, which saw
the vision of the Almighty, falling
into a trance, but having his eyes open:
- 12:6; Genesis 15:12; Psalms 89:19; Daniel 8:26,27; Acts 10:10,19; 22:17; 2 Corinthians 12:1-4
- 22:31; 1 Samuel 19:24; Ezekiel 1:28; Daniel 8:17,18; 10:15,16; Revelation 1:10,17
As the valleys are they spread forth, as gardens
by the river's side, as the trees
of lign aloes which the
LORD hath planted, and as cedar
trees beside the waters.
- as gardens
- Genesis 2:8-10; 13:10; Song of Solomon 4:12-15; 6:11; Isaiah 58:11; Jeremiah 31:12; Joel 3:18
- as the trees
- Ahalim, "lign-aloe trees." This tree, which grows in the East Indies, is described as being eight or ten feet in height, with a stem the thickness of a man's thigh. At the top grows a large tuft of jagged and thick leaves, thick and indented, broad at the bottom, but growing narrower towards the point, and about four feet in length. The blossoms are red, intermingled with yellow, and double like cloves; from which comes a red and white fruit, of the size of a pea, oblong and triangular, with three apartments filled with seed. The tree has a very beautiful appearance; and a forest of them is said to bear a resemblance to a numerous encampment.
- Psalms 1:3; Jeremiah 17:18
- which the
- Psalms 104:16; Isaiah 41:19
- as cedar
- Psalms 92:12-14; Ezekiel 31:3,4; 47:12
He shall pour
the water out of his buckets, and his seed shall be in many waters
, and his king
shall be higher than Agag
, and his kingdom
shall be exalted.
- Psalms 68:26; Proverbs 5:16-18; Isaiah 48:1
- many waters
- Psalms 93:3,4; Jeremiah 51:13; Revelation 17:1,15
- his king
- Ezra 4:20; Psalms 2:6-10; 18:43; John 1:49; Philippians 2:10,11; Revelation 19:16
- 1 Samuel 15:8,9,32,33
- his kingdom
- 2 Samuel 5:12; 1 Kings 4:21; 1 Chronicles 14:2; Isaiah 2:2; 9:7; Daniel 2:44; Revelation 11:15
brought him forth out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn: he shall eat
up the nations his enemies, and shall break
their bones, and pierce
them through with his arrows.
- 21:5; 23:22
- shall eat
- 14:9; 23:24; Deuteronomy 7:1
- Psalms 2:9; Isaiah 38:13; Jeremiah 50:17; Daniel 6:24
- Deuteronomy 32:23,42; Psalms 21:12; 45:5; Jeremiah 50:9
, he lay down as a lion, and as a great lion: who shall
stir him up? Blessed
is he that blesseth thee, and cursed is he that curseth thee.
- Genesis 49:9; Job 38:39,40
- who shall
- 23:24; Job 41:10; Psalms 2:12
- Genesis 12:3; 27:29; Psalms 122:6; Matthew 25:40,45; Acts 9:5
And Balak's anger was kindled against Balaam, and he smote
his hands together: and Balak said unto Balaam, I called
thee to curse mine enemies, and, behold, thou hast altogether blessed them these three times.
- he smote
- Job 27:23; Ezekiel 21:14,17; 22:13
- I called
- 22:6,11,17; 23:11; Deuteronomy 23:4,5; Joshua 24:9,10; Nehemiah 13:2
Therefore now flee thou to thy place: I thought
to promote thee unto great honour; but, lo, the LORD hath kept thee back from honour.
- I thought
- the Lord
- Matthew 19:28-30; Acts 8:20; Philippians 3:8; Hebrews 11:24-26; 1 Peter 5:2,3; 2 John 1:8
And Balaam said unto Balak, Spake I not also to thy messengers which thou sentest unto me, saying,
And now, behold, I go unto my people: come therefore, and I will advertise
thee what this people shall do to thy people in the latter
- I will advertise
- 17; 31:7-18; Micah 6:5; Revelation 2:10,14
- the latter
- Genesis 49:1; Isaiah 24:22; Jeremiah 48:47; 49:39; Daniel 2:28; 10:14; Hosea 3:5; Acts 2:17; 2 Timothy 3:1
And he took up his parable, and said, Balaam the son of Beor hath said, and the man whose eyes are open hath said:
- 3,4; 23:7,18; Job 27:1; Matthew 13:35
He hath said, which heard the words of God, and knew the knowledge of the most High, which saw the vision of the Almighty, falling into a trance, but having his eyes open:
- 4; 2 Samuel 23:1,2; 1 Corinthians 8:1; 13:2
Verse 17I shall see him
, but not now: I shall behold him, but not nigh: there shall come a Star
out of Jacob, and a Sceptre
shall rise out of Israel, and shall smite the corners of Moab
, and destroy all the children
- I shall see him
- The Targum of Onkelos translates this passage in the following manner: "I shall see him, but not now; I shall behold him, but he is not near. When a king shall arise from the house of Jacob, and the Messiah be anointed from the house of Israel; he shall slay the princes of Moab, and rule over all the children of men." The marginal references will direct the reader to the fulfilment of these remarkable prophecies.
- Job 19:25-27; Zechariah 12:10; Jude 1:11,14,15; Revelation 1:7
- a Star
- Matthew 2:2-9; Luke 1:78; 2 Peter 1:19; Revelation 22:16
- a Sceptre
- Genesis 49:10; Psalms 45:6; 78:70-72; 110:2; Isaiah 9:7; Luke 1:32,33; Hebrews 1:8
- smite the corners of Moab
- or, smite through the princes of Moab.
- 1 Samuel 14:38; *marg:; Zechariah 10:4
- 2 Samuel 8:2; 2 Kings 3:5,26,27; 1 Chronicles 18:2; Jeremiah 48:45
- all the children
- Genesis 4:25,26; 5:3-29
- Psalms 72:8-11; Revelation 11:15
And Edom shall be a possession, Seir also shall be a possession for his enemies; and Israel shall do valiantly.
- Genesis 27:29,40; 2 Samuel 8:14; Psalms 60:1; *title; Psalms 60:8-12; Isaiah 34:5; 63:1; Amos 9:12
Out of Jacob shall come he that shall have dominion, and shall destroy
him that remaineth of the city.
- Of Jacob
- Genesis 49:10; Psalms 2:1-12; 72:10,11; Isaiah 11:10; Micah 5:2,4; Matthew 28:18; 1 Corinthians 15:25; Ephesians 1:20-22; Philippians 2:10,11; Hebrews 1:8; 1 Peter 3:22; Revelation 19:16
- shall destroy
- Psalms 21:7-10; Matthew 25:46; Luke 19:12,27
And when he looked on Amalek, he took up his parable, and said, Amalek was the first of the nations
; but his latter end shall be that he perish for ever
- the first of the nations
- or, the first of the nations that warred against Israel.
- Exodus 17:8,16
- his latter end
- Judges 6:3; 1 Samuel 14:48; 15:3-8; 27:8,9; 30:1,17; 1 Chronicles 4:43; Esther 3:1; Esther 7:9,10; 9:14
- shall be that he perish for ever
- or, shall be even to destruction.
- Exodus 17:14; 1 Samuel 15:3,8
And he looked on the Kenites
, and took up his parable, and said, Strong is thy dwellingplace, and thou puttest thy nest in a rock.
- the Kenites
- Genesis 15:19; Judges 1:16; Job 29:18
Nevertheless the Kenite
shall be wasted, until Asshur shall carry thee away captive.
- the Kenite
- Heb. Kain. until Asshur shall carry thee away captive. or, how long shall it be ere Asshur carry thee away captive?
- Genesis 10:11; Ezra 4:2; Psalms 83:8; Hosea 14:3
And he took up his parable, and said, Alas, who shall live when God
- when God
- 23:23; 2 Kings 5:1; Malachi 3:2
And ships shall come from the coast of Chittim
, and shall afflict Asshur, and shall afflict Eber
, and he also
shall perish for ever.
- Genesis 10:4; Isaiah 23:1; Daniel 7:19,20; 8:5-8,21; 10:20; 11:30
- and shall afflict Eber
- Genesis 10:21-25; 14:13; Daniel 9:26,27; Matthew 24:15; Luke 20:24; 23:29-31; John 11:48
- and he also
- Daniel 2:35,45; 7:23-26; 11:45; Revelation 18:2-24
And Balaam rose up, and went and returned to his place: and Balak also went his way.
- 11; 31:8; Joshua 13:22
These files are considered public domain and are a derivative of an electronic edition that is available in the Online Bible Software Library.
Torrey, R. A. "Commentary on Numbers 24:17". "The Treasury of Scripture Knowledge". "http://www.studylight.org/com/tsk/view.cgi?book=nu&chapter=24&verse=17".