Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
|1||Joshua assembles the tribes at Shechem. |
|2||A brief history of God's benefits, from Terah. |
|14||He renews the covenant between them and God. |
|26||A stone the witness of the covenant. |
|29||Joshua's age, death, and burial. |
|32||Joseph's bones are buried. |
|33||Eleazar dies. |Verse 1
gathered all the tribes of Israel to Shechem
, and called
for the elders of Israel, and for their heads, and for their judges, and for their officers; and they presented
themselves before God.
- This must have been a different assembly from that mentioned in the preceding chapter, though probably held not long after the former.
- As it is immediately added, that "they presented themselves before God," which is supposed to mean at the tabernacle; some are of opinion that Joshua caused it to be conveyed from Shiloh to Shechem on this occasion, to give the greater solemnity to his last meeting with the people. The Vatican and Alexandrian copies of the Septuagint, however, read [Selo] both here and in verse 25; which many suppose to have been the original reading. Dr. Shuckford supposes that the covenant was made at Shechem, and that the people went to Shiloh to confirm it. But the most probable opinion seems to be that of Dr. Kennicott, that when all the tribes were assembled as Shechem, Joshua called the chiefs to him on that mount, which had before been consecrated by the law, and by the altar which he had erected.
- Genesis 12:6; 33:18,19; 35:4; Judges 9:1-3; 1 Kings 12:1
- 23:2; Exodus 18:25,26
- 1 Samuel 10:19; Acts 10:33
And Joshua said unto all the people, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Your fathers
dwelt on the other side of the flood in old time, even Terah, the father of Abraham, and the father of Nachor: and they served other gods
- Your fathers
- Genesis 11:26,31; 12:1; 31:53; Deuteronomy 26:5; Isaiah 51:2; Ezekiel 16:3
- served other gods
- In the case of Abraham this was probably the case, till he was called to the knowledge of God, when above 70 years old.
- 15; Genesis 31:19,30,32,53; 35:4
And I took
your father Abraham from the other side of the flood, and led him throughout all the land of Canaan, and multiplied his seed, and gave
- I took
- Genesis 12:1-4; Nehemiah 9:7,8; Acts 7:2,3
- Genesis 21:2,3; Psalms 127:3
And I gave unto Isaac Jacob
and Esau: and I gave unto Esau
mount Seir, to possess it; but Jacob and his children went down into Egypt.
- unto Isaac
- Genesis 25:24-26
- unto Esau
- Genesis 32:3; 36:8; Deuteronomy 2:5
- Genesis 46:1-7; Psalms 105:23; Acts 7:15
Moses also and Aaron, and I plagued
Egypt, according to that which I did among them: and afterward I brought you out.
- Exodus 3:10; 4:12,13; Psalms 105:26
- Exodus 7:1-12; Psalms 78:43-51; 105:27-36; 135:8,9; 136:10
And I brought
your fathers out of Egypt: and ye came unto the sea; and the Egyptians
pursued after your fathers with chariots and horsemen unto the Red sea.
- I brought
- Exodus 12:37,51; Micah 6:4
- Exodus 14:1-15; Nehemiah 9:11; Psalms 77:15-20; 78:13; 136:13-15; Isaiah 63:12,13; Acts 7:36; Hebrews 11:29
Verse 7And when
they cried unto the LORD, he put
darkness between you and the Egyptians, and brought
the sea upon them, and covered them; and your eyes
have seen what I have done in Egypt: and ye dwelt
in the wilderness a long season.
- And when
- Exodus 14:10
- he put
- Exodus 14:20
- Exodus 14:27,28
- your eyes
- Exodus 14:31; Deuteronomy 4:34; 29:2
- ye dwelt
- 5:6; Numbers 14:33,34; Nehemiah 9:12-21; Psalms 95:9,10; Acts 13:17,18; Hebrews 3:17
And I brought you into the land of the Amorites, which dwelt on the other side Jordan; and they fought with you: and I gave them into your hand, that ye might possess their land; and I destroyed them from before you.
- 13:10; Numbers 21:21-35; Deuteronomy 2:32-37; 3:1-7; Nehemiah 9:22; Psalms 135:10,11; Psalms 136:17-22
Then Balak the son of Zippor, king of Moab, arose and warred against Israel, and sent and called Balaam the son of Beor to curse you:
- Numbers 22:5,6-21; Deuteronomy 23:4,5; Judges 11:25; Micah 6:5
But I would not hearken unto Balaam; therefore he blessed you still: so I delivered you out of his hand.
- Numbers 22:11,12,18-20,35; 23:3-12,15-26; 24:5-10; Isaiah 54:17
Verse 11And ye
went over Jordan, and came unto Jericho: and the men
of Jericho fought against you, the Amorites, and the Perizzites, and the Canaanites, and the Hittites, and the Girgashites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; and I delivered them into your hand.
- And ye
- 3:14-17; 4:10-12,23; Psalms 114:3,5
- the men
- 6:1-27; 10:1-11; Nehemiah 9:24,25; Psalms 78:54,55; 105:44; Acts 7:45; 13:19
And I sent
the hornet before you, which drave them out from before you, even the two kings of the Amorites; but not
with thy sword, nor with thy bow.
- I sent
- Exodus 23:28; Deuteronomy 7:20
- Psalms 44:3-6
Verse 13And I
have given you a land for which ye did not labour, and cities
which ye built not, and ye dwell in them; of the vineyards and oliveyards which ye planted not do ye eat.
- And I
- 11:13; Deuteronomy 6:10-12; 8:7; Proverbs 13:22
Now therefore fear
the LORD, and serve
him in sincerity and in truth: and put
away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt
; and serve ye the LORD.
- Deuteronomy 10:12; 1 Samuel 12:24; Job 1:1; 28:28; Psalms 111:10; 130:4; Hosea 3:5; Acts 9:31
- 23; Genesis 17:1; 20:5,6; Deuteronomy 18:13; 2 Kings 20:3; Psalms 119:1,80; Luke 8:15; John 4:23,24; 2 Corinthians 1:12; Ephesians 6:24; Philippians 1:10
- From this exhortation of Joshua, we not only learn that the Israelites still retained some relics of idolatry, but to what gods they were attached. 1. Those whom their fathers worshipped on the other side of the food, or the river Euphrates, i.e., the gods of the Chaldeans, fire, light, the sun, etc. 2. Those of the Egyptians, Apis, Anubis, serpents, vegetables, etc. 3. Those of the Amorites, Moabites, Canaanites, etc., Baal-peor, Astarte, etc. How astonishing is it, that after all that God had done for them, and all the miracles they had seen, there should still be found among them both idols and idolaters!
- 2,23; Genesis 35:2; Exodus 20:3,4; Leviticus 17:7; Ezra 9:11; Ezekiel 20:18; Amos 5:25,26
- in Egypt
- Ezekiel 20:7,8; 23:3
And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose
you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods
which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods
of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me
and my house, we will serve the LORD.
- Ruth 1:15,16; 1 Kings 18:21; Ezekiel 20:39; John 6:67
- whether the gods
- or the gods
- Exodus 23:24,32,33; 34:15; Deuteronomy 13:7; 29:18; Judges 6:10
- as for me
- Genesis 18:19; Psalms 101:2; 119:106,111,112; John 6:68; Acts 11:23
And the people answered and said, God forbid that we should forsake the LORD, to serve other gods;
- 1 Samuel 12:23; Romans 3:6; 6:2; Hebrews 10:38,39
For the LORD our God, he it is that brought us up and our fathers out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage, and which did those great signs in our sight, and preserved us in all the way wherein we went, and among all the people through whom we passed:
- 5-14; Exodus 19:4; Deuteronomy 32:11,12; Isaiah 46:4; 63:7-14; Amos 2:9,10
And the LORD drave out from before us all the people, even the Amorites which dwelt in the land: therefore will we also
serve the LORD; for he is our God.
- will we also
- Exodus 10:2; 15:2; Psalms 116:16; Micah 4:2; Zechariah 8:23; Luke 1:73-75
And Joshua said unto the people, Ye cannot
serve the LORD: for he is an holy
God; he is a jealous
God; he will not
forgive your transgressions nor your sins.
- Ye cannot
- 23; Ruth 1:15; Matthew 6:24; Luke 14:25-33
- Leviticus 10:3; 19:2; 1 Samuel 6:20; Psalms 99:5,9; Isaiah 5:16; 6:3-5; 30:11,15; Habakkuk 1:13
- a jealous
- Exodus 20:5; 34:14; 1 Corinthians 10:20-22
- he will not
- Exodus 23:21; 34:7; 1 Samuel 3:14; 2 Chronicles 36:16; Isaiah 27:11
If ye forsake the LORD, and serve strange gods, then he will turn
and do you hurt, and consume you, after that he hath done you good.
- he will turn
- 23:12-15; 1 Chronicles 28:9; 2 Chronicles 15:2; Ezra 8:22; Isaiah 1:28; 63:10; 65:11,12; Jeremiah 17:13; Ezekiel 18:24; Acts 7:42; Hebrews 10:26,27,38
And the people said unto Joshua, Nay
; but we will serve the LORD.
- Exodus 19:8; 20:19; 24:3,7; Deuteronomy 5:27,28; 26:17; Isaiah 44:5
And Joshua said unto the people, Ye are witnesses
against yourselves that ye have
chosen you the LORD, to serve him. And they said, We are witnesses.
- Ye are witnesses
- Ye have been sufficiently apprised of the difficulties in your way--of God's holiness, and the nature of his service--your own weakness, inconstancy, and insufficiency--your need of the Divine help, and the hope of assistance held out in the law--and the awful consequences of apostasy: and now ye make your choice. Remember then that ye are witnesses against yourselves; and your own conscience will be witness, judge, and executioner.
- Deuteronomy 26:17; Job 15:6; Luke 19:22
- ye have
- Psalms 119:11,173; Luke 10:42
Now therefore put away
, said he, the strange gods which are among you, and incline
your heart unto the LORD God of Israel.
- put away
- 14; Genesis 35:2-4; Exodus 20:23; Judges 10:15,16; 1 Samuel 7:3,4; Hosea 14:2,3,8; 1 Corinthians 10:19-21; 2 Corinthians 6:16-18
- Proverbs 2:2; Hebrews 12:28,29
And the people said unto Joshua, The LORD our God will we serve, and his voice will we obey.
- Deuteronomy 5:28,29
So Joshua made
a covenant with the people that day, and set them a statute and an ordinance in Shechem
- Exodus 15:25; 24:3,7,8; Deuteronomy 5:2,3; 29:1,10-15; 2 Kings 11:17; 2 Chronicles 15:12,15; 2 Chronicles 23:16; 29:10; 34:29-32; Nehemiah 9:38; 10:28,29
- in Shechem
wrote these words in the book of the law of God, and took
a great stone, and set it
up there under
an oak, that was by the sanctuary of the LORD.
- Exodus 24:4; Deuteronomy 31:24-26
- Judges 9:6
- set it
- 4:3-9,20-24; Genesis 28:18-22
- Genesis 35:4,8; Judges 9:6
And Joshua said unto all the people, Behold, this stone shall be a witness unto us; for it hath
heard all the words of the LORD which he spake unto us: it shall be therefore a witness unto you, lest ye deny
- 22:27,28,34; Genesis 31:44-52; Deuteronomy 4:26; 30:19; 31:19,21,26; 1 Samuel 7:12
- it hath
- Deuteronomy 32:1; Isaiah 1:2; Habakkuk 2:11; Luke 19:40
- Job 31:23; Proverbs 30:9; Matthew 10:33; 2 Timothy 2:12,13; Titus 1:16; Revelation 3:8
So Joshua let the people depart, every man unto his inheritance.
- Judges 2:6
And it came to pass after these
things, that Joshua the son of Nun, the servant of the LORD, died, being an hundred
and ten years old.
- after these
- Deuteronomy 34:5; Judges 2:8; Psalms 115:17; 2 Timothy 4:7,8; Revelation 14:13
- an hundred
- Genesis 50:22,26
And they buried him in the border of his inheritance in Timnathserah, which is in mount Ephraim, on the north side of the hill of Gaash
- 19:50; Judges 2:9
- 2 Samuel 23:30
And Israel served
the LORD all the days of Joshua, and all the days of the elders that overlived Joshua
, and which had known all the works of the LORD, that he had done for Israel.
- Deuteronomy 31:29; Judges 2:7; 2 Chronicles 24:2,17,18; Acts 20:29; Philippians 2:12
- overlived Joshua
- Heb. prolonged their days after Joshua. which had.
- Deuteronomy 11:2,7; 31:13
And the bones
of Joseph, which the children of Israel brought up out of Egypt, buried
they in Shechem, in a parcel of ground which Jacob bought of the sons of Hamor the father of Shechem for an hundred pieces of silver
: and it became the inheritance of the children of Joseph.
- Genesis 50:25; Exodus 13:19; Acts 7:16; Hebrews 11:22
- Genesis 33:19; 48:22
- pieces of silver
- or, lambs.
the son of Aaron died
; and they buried him in a hill that pertained to Phinehas
his son, which was given him in mount Ephraim.
- 14:1; Exodus 6:23,25; Numbers 3:32; 20:26-28
- Job 30:23; Psalms 49:10; Isaiah 57:1,2; Zechariah 1:5; Acts 13:36; Hebrews 7:24; Hebrews 9:26,27
- Judges 20:28
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Torrey, R. A. "Commentary on Joshua 24:4". "The Treasury of Scripture Knowledge". "www.studylight.org/commentaries/tsk/joshua-24.html".
Make A Difference, Today!
Thursday, July 28th, 2016
the Week of Proper 12 / Ordinary 17