Old & New Testament Greek
Parts of Speech:
Word Definition [ Thayer's | Strong's ]
Hebrew Equivalent Words:
‑ חֻקָּה (khook‑kaw')
‑ מִבְטָא (mib‑taw')
‑ פְּדֻת (ped‑ooth', ped‑ooth')
1. drawing asunder, dilatation, of the lungs, Arist. Aud. 800a35; of the heart, Gal. 2.597; of the pulse, Id. 8.736, al.; δ. χειλέων parting of the lips, i.e. utterance, LXX Numbers 30:7. separation, Thphr. CP 3.16.3; notch or nick, Plu. Cic. 1; boundary, fence, Tab.Heracl. 2.46; fencing off, τῆς γῆς PAmh. 2.40.25 (ii B. C.).
2. distinction, Chrysipp.Stoic. 2.158, LXX Exodus 8:23, Epicur. Nat. 28.7, Phld. Piet. 123, Romans 3:22; ἁγίων καὶ βεβήλων Ph. 2.159; μετὰ διαστολῆς προενεχθέντα with discrimination, Demetr.Lac. 1014.48 F.; detailed statement or explanation, Plb. 1.15.6; ἀξίους μνήμης καὶ δ. Id. 16.14.2, cf. SIG 284.11 (Chios), Apollon.Cit. 3; specification of items in an account, PRyl. 65.17 (i B. C.); article in a contract, etc., PTheb.Bank 6.8, 7.7.
3. command, injunction, order, LXX Numbers 19:2, al., PTeb. 24.45 (ii B.C.), etc.
4. payment, BGU 485.26, PTeb. 363.1 (ii A. D.).
II Gramm., comma (as in ὅ, τι), D.T. 629.
1. distinction, γενῶν A.D. Pron. 11.28,al. opposition, πρός τι ib. 41.24.
2. in Music, distinctness, of notes, 1 Corinthians 14:7.
Thayer's Expanded Definition
, , (, cf. ), a distinction, difference
: Romans 3:22
; Romans 10:12
; of the difference of the sounds made by musical instruments, 1 Corinthians 14:7
. (( Aristotle
, others.)<1> 1>
Thayer's Expanded Greek Definition, Electronic Database.
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
Vocabulary of the Greek NT
We are unable to illustrate the NT use of this word (cf. also Exodus 8:23) = ";distinction,"; ";difference"; (see under διαστέλλω), but the subst., like the verb, can be freely quoted in the sense of ";injunction,"; ";notification,"; ";memorandum."; P Tebt I. 24.45 (B.C. 117) ἀκολούθως ταῖς δεδομέναι (l. —αις) δι᾽ α [ὐ ]τῶν διαστολᾶς (l. —αῖς), ";in accordance with the memoranda given by them"; (Edd.), ib. 34.13 (c. B.C. 100) γράφω σοι δὲ διαστολὰς αὐτοῖς δοῦναι, ";I am therefore writing to you to give their instructions"; (Edd.), P Oxy IV. 743.28 (B.C. 2) διαστολὰς δεδώκειν, ";praecepi "; (Witkowski.2, p. 130), ib. I. 68.36 (A.D. 131) ἀρκουμένου μ ̣ου τῇδε τῇ διαστολῇ ὡς καθήκει, ";since I am ready to abide by the present memorandum, as is right (?)"; (Edd.). Cf. also the corresponding use of τὸ διαστολικόν of an official ";notification"; or ";writ,"; in this last papyrus.33, et saepe. The noun, like διαστέλλω, is also frequent with reference to payments, e.g. P Tebt II. 363.1 (early ii/A.D.) διαστολῆς μετρήματος Τεβτύνεως, ";statement of a payment in kind at Tebtunis,"; ib. 395.20 (A.D. 150) ἀ ̣ν ̣τ ̣ι ̣[γρα (φον)] διασ ̣τ ̣ο ̣λ ̣(ῆς ?), with reference to the copy of a banker’s receipt : cf. the use of the rare word διαστολεύς in P Rein 53.6 (iii/iv A.D.). See also Wilcken Ostr i. p. 638.
The Vocabulary of the Greek New Testament.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder
Frequency / Word / Parsing Lists [ Book | Word | Parsing ]
List of Word Forms
διαστολη διαστολή διαστολὴ διαστολην διαστολήν διαστολὴν diastole diastolē diastolḗ diastolḕ diastolen diastolēn diastolḕn
Make A Difference, Today!
Monday, July 25th, 2016
the Week of Proper 12 / Ordinary 17
Download the Language Fonts
Below you will find links to the TrueType font(s) used in this resource. Simply right-mouse click the link and save it to your fonts
Once you have finished you might need to close all open browsers and open your fonts directory to initialized the font(s) you just installed. SIL Galatia Greek font