Old Testament Hebrew
a primitive root
Word Definition [ Brown-Drivers-Briggs | Strong ]
Greek Equivalent Words:
‑ ἐκδιηγέομαι (ek‑dee‑ayg‑eh'‑om‑ahee)
‑ φθέγγομαι (ftheng'‑gom‑ahee)
‑ διηγέομαι (dee‑ayg‑eh'‑om‑ahee)
‑ μελετάω (mel‑et‑ah'‑o)
Frequency / Word [ Book | Word ]
Ancient Hebrew Lexicon Definitions
1330) hx (סהה SHh) AC: Sweep CO: ? AB: ?
A) hx (סהה SHh) AC: Sweep CO: ? AB: ?
Nm ) hx (סהה SHh) - Meditate: A sweeping away in thought. [df: xV] KJV (1): thought - Strongs: H7808 (שֵׂחַ)
fm ) ihx (סההי SHhY) - Rubbish: What is swept away. KJV (1): offscouring - Strongs: H5501 (סְחִי)
H) ehx (סההה SHhH) AC: Sweep CO: ? AB: ?
V) ehx (סההה SHhH) - Sweep: Sweep. [df: hxV] KJV (4): (vf: Paal, Hiphil, Piel, Participle) swim, scrape - Strongs: H5500 (סָחָה), H7811 (שָׂחָה)
J) hfx (סוהה SWHh) AC: Meditate CO: ? AB: ?
V) hfx (סוהה SWHh) - Meditate: A sweeping away in thought. [df: xwV] KJV (1): (vf: Paal) meditate - Strongs: H7742 (שׂוּחַ)
Nf1 ) ehfx (סוההה SWHhH) - Rubbish: What is swept away. KJV (1): torn - Strongs: H5478 (סוּחָה)
K) fhx (סההו SHhW) AC: Swim CO: ? AB: ?: The sweeping of the arms in water.
Nm) fhx (סההו SHhW) - Swim: [df: wxV] KJV (1): swim - Strongs: H7813 (שָׂחוּ)
M) hix (סיהה SYHh) AC: Meditate CO: ? AB: ?
V) hix (סיהה SYHh) - Meditate: A sweeping away in thougt. [df: xyV] KJV (20): (vf: Paal) talk, meditate, speak, complain, pray, commune, muse, declare - Strongs: H7878 (שִׂיחַ)
Nm ) hix (סיהה SYHh) - I. Meditating:A sweeping away in thought. [df: xyV]II. Bush:As sweeping in the wind. KJV (18): complaint, meditation, prayer, talking, communication, babbling - Strongs: H7879 (שִׂיחַ), H7880 (שִׂיחַ)
Nf1) ehix (סיההה SYHhH) - Meditation: A sweeping away in thought. [df: hxyV] KJV (3): meditation, prayer - Strongs: H7881 (שִׂיחָה)
Brown-Driver-Briggs Expanded Definition
verb denominative muse, complain
, in poetry talk (of)
Qal Imperfect 3 masculine singular Psalm 119:23; 3 feminine singular suffix Proverbs 6:22; 1 singular Psalm 119:78 +, etc.; Imperative masculine singular Job 12:8, masculine plural Judges 5:10 +; Infinitiveconstruct Psalm 119:148; —
1 complain: Psalm 55:18; Psalm 77:4 (both "" ), Job 7:11 (), + Psalm 6:7 (read probably for ).
2 muse: Psalm 77:7; with , meditate upon, study, God's Psalm 77:13 ("" ); Psalm 119:15; Psalm 119:78; Psalm 119:23; Psalm 119:48; Psalm 119:27; Psalm 119:148; with accusative Psalm 145:5.
3. a. talk (about), sing (of): absolute Judges 5:10 (ode); with , Psalm 105:2 = 1 Chronicles 16:9 ("" , ; so SS Gerber, but possibly =
2, so Dr), Psalm 69:13 ( person against; "" , of mocking words).
b. with suffix person talk (with) Proverbs 6:22 (strike out Toy); with speak to Job 12:8 (Di 'sprich sinnend'; Hi Bu read ; Kau (so Bu as alternative), Bö and others below II. ).
Pol`el meditate, consider: Imperfect 3 masculine singular Isaiah 53:8 (absolute); 1 singular Psalm 143:5 ( of thing; "" ). — Genesis 24:63 see I. .
Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew and English Lexicon, Unabridged, Electronic Database.
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights reserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
(1) pr. to produce, to bring forth, to put forth (comp. Syr. ܫܘܰܚ to germinate, to flourish; Aphel ܐܫܰܘܰܚ to put forth shoots, buds, and Med. quiesc. ܐܰܫܚܺܚ to dare, pr. to life oneself up, ܫܘܽܚܙܳ bushes, and Heb. שִׂיחַ No. 1). In Hebrew
(2) to speak, pr. to utter with the mouth, comp. אָמַר No. 1. Followed by לְ to speak to any one, Job 12:8 with suff. Proverbs 6:22, תְּשִׂיחֶךָ “he shall speak with thee.” Followed by בְּ to speak of any one, Psalms 69:13.
(3) to sing, Judges 5:10; Psalms 145:5. Followed by בְּ to celebrate anything in song, Psalms 105:2, and in a bad sense, to lament, to complain, Psalms 55:18; Job 7:11.
(4) to talk with oneself, i.e. to meditate, especially on divine things, Psalms 77:4, Psalms 77:7 followed by בְּ of the thing, Psalms 119:15, 23 Psalms 119:23, 27 Psalms 119:27, 48 Psalms 119:48, 78 Psalms 119:78, 148 Psalms 119:148, 77:13. Compare syn. הָגָה.
Pilel שׂוֹחֵחַ to meditate, Psalms 143:5 to think upon anything, Isaiah 53:8.
Hence שֵׂחַ, שִׂיהָה, and
(1) a shrub, bush, see the root No. 1 [in Thes. this first signification is taken as a distinct root], Genesis 2:5. Pl. Genesis 21:13; Job 30:4, Job 30:7.
(2) speech, discourse, 2 Kings 9:11.
(3) quarrel, Job 7:13, 9:27 21:4 23:2 Psalms 142:3; 1 Samuel 1:16.
(4) meditation, 1 Kings 18:27 in mockery of Baal, as not answering the supplications of his priests, it is said שִׂיחַ לוֹ “he has a meditation,” i.e. he is so entirely taken up with meditating that he cannot hear; or, from signif. No. 2, “he has a discourse” (conversation) with some. LXX. ἀδολεσχία αὐτῷ ἐστί, the Greek word denoting both meditation and conversation.
List of Word Forms
אֲשׂוֹחֵֽחַ׃ אָ֝שִׂ֗יחָה אָשִֽׂיחָה׃ אָשִׂ֑יחָה אָשִׂ֓יחָה ׀ אָשִׂ֣יחָה אָשִׂ֥יחַ אשוחח׃ אשיח אשיחה אשיחה׃ בְ֝שִׂיחִ֗י בשיחי וְ֝אָשִׂ֗יחָה וְאָשִׂ֥יחָה ואשיחה יְשׂוֹחֵ֑חַ יָשִׂ֣יחוּ יָשִׂ֥יחַ יחו ישוחח ישיח ישיחו לָ֝שִׂ֗יחַ לשיח שִֽׂיחוּ׃ שִׂ֖יחוּ שִׂ֝֗יחוּ שִׂ֣יחַ שיח שיחו שיחו׃ תְשִׂיחֶֽךָ׃ תשיחך׃ ’ā·śî·aḥ ’ā·śî·ḥāh ’ă·śō·w·ḥê·aḥ ’āśîaḥ ’āśîḥāh ’ăśōwḥêaḥ ·ḥū aSiach aSichah asoCheach ḇə·śî·ḥî ḇəśîḥî chu ḥū lā·śî·aḥ laSiach lāśîaḥ śî·aḥ śî·ḥū Siach śîaḥ Sichu śîḥū ṯə·śî·ḥe·ḵā tesiChecha ṯəśîḥeḵā veaSichah vesiChi wə’āśîḥāh wə·’ā·śî·ḥāh yā·śî·aḥ yā·śî·ḥū yaSiach yāśîaḥ yaSichu yāśîḥū yə·śō·w·ḥê·aḥ yesoCheach yəśōwḥêaḥ
Make A Difference, Today!
Friday, October 21st, 2016
the Week of Proper 24 / Ordinary 29
Download the Language Fonts
Below you will find links to the TrueType font(s) used in this resource. Simply right-mouse click the link and save it to your fonts
Once you have finished you might need to close all open browsers and open your fonts directory to initialized the font(s) you just installed. SIL Ezra Hebrew font AHL Early Hebrew font