I of Place,
1 in that place, there, once in Hom., ἵ. γάρ σφιν ἐπέφραδον ἠγερέθεσθαι Il. 10.127 (acc.to Eust.).
2. elsewh. relat., in which place, where, 2.558, Od. 9.136, Hdt. 2.133, 9.27, 54, Pi. O. 1.95, B. 10.79, A. Proverbs 21:1-31, al., S. El. 22, 855, Ar. Ra. 1231, etc.: rarely in Att. Prose, Lys. 13.72 (v. infr.), Pl. Revelation 17:1-18 c, Phlb. 61b; ἵ. ἡ Νίκη (sc. ἐστίν) IG 22.1407.13: rare in later Greek, Arr. An. 1.3.2, Luc. Cont. 22, Ind. 3: with particles, ἵ. τε Il. 20.478; ἵ. περ 24.382, Od. 13.364, Lys. l.c.; ἵν' ἄν c. subj., wherever, S. OC 405, E. Ion 315; as indirect interrog., Hdt. 1.179, 2.150, E. Hec. 1008. after Hom., like other Advs. of Place, c. gen., ἵ. τῆς χώρης Hdt. 1.98; ἔμαθε ἵ. ἦν κακοῦ in what a calamity, Id. 1.213; οὐδ' ὁρᾶν ἵν' ἐ̄ κακοῦ S. OT 367; ἵν' ἕσταμεν χρείας ib. 1442; ἵν' ἦμεν ἄτης Id. El. 936; ὁρᾷς ἵν' ἐσμὲν αὐτοῦ πέρι τῆς ἀπορίας Pl. Sph. 243b. with Verbs of motion, whither, Od. 4.821, al.; ὁρᾷς ἵν' ἥκεις S. OT 687, al., Din. 2.10; ιναπερ ὥρμητο Th. 4.74. II of circumstance, γάμος.., ἵ. χρή at which, when, Od. 6.27; ἵ. μὲν ἐξῆν αὐτοῖς.., ἐνταῦθα.. when it was in their power, Antipho 6.9.
2. = ἐάν, dub. in Il. 7.353 (v.l. ἵν' ἄν, cf. Sch.), Archil. 74.7 codd., v.l. in Din. 1.1, and Pl. Chrm. 176b. Final Conj., that, in order that, from Hom. downwards, mostly first word in the clause, but sts. preceded by an emphatic word, Pl. Chrm. 169d; ἵ. δή Il. 7.26, 23.207, Hdt. 1.29, Pl. R. 420e, 610c: never with ἄν or κε (if found, these particles belong to the Verb, as in Od. 12.156, E. IA 1579).
I general usage:
1 with subj., after primary tenses of ind., also subj. and imper.: pres. ind., Il. 3.252, Od. 2.111, X. Mem. 3.2.3, Cyr. 1.2.11, Isoc. 3.2: pf. ind., Il. 1.203, Isoc. 4.129: fut., Od. 2.307, 4.591, X. Cyr. 1.2.15; subj., S. OT 364; imper., Il. 19.348,al., A. Pr. 61, S. Ph. 880, Ar. Ra. 297, Pl. R. 341b, Men. 71d. after historical tenses, in similes, where the aor. is gnomic, Od. 5.490 (αὔοι codd.); where aor. is treated as equiv. to pf., Il. 9.99, Od. 8.580, Hdt. 5.91, Lys. 1.4, D. 9.26: when the purpose is regarded from the point of view of the speaker's present, σὲ παῖδα ποιεύμην ἵ. μοι.. λοιγὸν ἀμύνῃς Il. 9.495, cf. Hdt. 1.29, 6.100, Th. 1.44, al., Lys. 1.11,12,al. after opt. and ἄν, when opt. with οὐκ ἄν is used with sense of imper., Il. 24.264, Od. 6.58; after βουλοίμην ἄν.., Lys. 7.12. after impf. with ἄν, D. 23.7.
2. with opt., after historical tenses, Il. 5.3, Od. 3.2, A. Th. 215, Lys. 3.11, Pl. Prt. 314c, etc.: after the historical pres., E. Hec. 11: sts. both moods, subj. and opt., follow in consecutive clauses, Od. 3.77, Hdt. 8.76, 9.51, D. 23.93, 49.14. after opt., Od. 18.369, S. Ph. 325; βούλοιντ' ἂν ἡμᾶς ἐξολωλέναι, ἵνα.. λάβοιεν Ar. Pax 413. rarely after primary tenses, by a shifting of the point of view, Od. 17.250, Ar. Ra. 24, Pl. R. 410c.
3. with past tenses of ind., after unfulfilled wishes, Id. Cri. 44d. after ind. with ἄν, to express a consequence which has not followed or cannot follow, S. OT 1389, Pl. Men. 89b, D. 29.17: esp. after ἐβουλόμην ἄν.., Ar. V. 961, Lys. 4.3. after such Verbs as ἐχρῆν, ἔδει, E. Hipp. 647, Pl. Prt. 335c, Smp. 181e, Euthd. 304e, Isoc. 9.5, D. 24.48, Men. 349.5, etc.: whenan unfulfilled obligation is implied, τεθαύμακα ὅτι οὐκ εἶπεν (= ἔδει εἰπεῖν).. ἵ... Pl. Tht. 161c; ἀντὶ τοῦ κοσμεῖν (= δέον κοσμεῖν).. ἵ... D. 36.47. after pres. ind. in general statements (including the past), οὐδὲ γὰρ τὸ εἶναι ἔχει ἡ ὕλη, ἱ. ἀγαθοῦ ταύτῃ μετεῖχεν Plot. 1.8.5.
4. ἵ. μή as the neg. of ἵνα, that not, Il. 19.348, etc.
II special usages:
1 like ὅπως, after Verbs of command and entreaty, is common only in later Gr. (but cf. Od. 3.327 with ib. 19), ἀξιοῦν ἵ... Decr. ap. D. 18.155; δεήσεσθαι ἵ... D.H. 1.83; παρακαλεῖν ἵ... Arr. Epict. 3.23.27: freq. in NT, ἐκήρυξαν ἵ. μετανοήσωσιν Mark 6:12, al.; of will, ὅσα ἐὰν θέλητε ἵ. ποιῶσιν.. ib. 25: hence ἵ. c. subj. stands for infin., ἐν τούτῳ ἵ. καρπὸν φέρητε (= ἐν τῷ φέρειν) John 15:8, etc.; πρῶτόν ἐστιν ἵ. κοιμηθῶ Arr. Epict. 1.10.8, cf. M.Ant. 8.29; also for ὥστε, LXX Genesis 22:14,al., Plu. 2.333a, Porph. Abst. 2.33, etc.
2. because, ἵ. ἀναγνῶ ἐτιμήθην I was honoured because I read, Anon. ap. A.D. Synt. 266.5, cf. Conj. 243.21, Choerob. in Theod. 2.257, al.; not found in literature.
3. elliptical usages, where the purpose of the utterance is stated, Ζεὺς ἔσθ', ἵν' εἰδῇς 'tis Zeus, — [I tell thee this] that thou may'st know it, S. Ph. 989; ἵ. μὴ εἴπω ὅτι οὐδεμιᾷ Pl. R. 507d; ἵ. συντέμω D. 45.5; ἵν' ἐκ τούτων ἄρξωμαι Id. 21.43; ἵ. δῶμεν.. granted that.., S.E. P. 2.34, cf. 1.79. in commands, introducing a principal sentence, ἵ. συντάξῃς order him.., PCair.Zen. 240.12 (iii B.C.); ἵ. λαλήσῃς PSI 4.412.1 (iii B.C.); ἵ. ἐλθὼν ἐπιθῇς τὰς χεῖρας αὐτῇ Mark 5:23; Mark cf.2 Cor. 8.7, LXX 2 Maccabees 1:9, Arr. Epict. 4.1.41, Did. ap. Sch. S. OC 156. ἵ. τί (sc. γένηται); to what end? either abs. or as a question, Ar. Ec. 719; or with a Verb following, Id. Pax 409, cf. Pl. Ap. 26d, etc.; ἵ. δὴ τί; Ar. Nu. 1192. in indignant exclamations, to think that.. ! Σωκράτης ἵ. πάθῃ ταῦτα Arr. Epict. 1.29.16. III in later Gr. with ind., LXX Exodus 1:11,al., Galatians 2:4, Galatians 4:17, etc.