Old & New Testament Greek
Parts of Speech:
Word Definition [ Thayer's | Strong's ]
Hebrew Equivalent Words:
‑ תְּשׂוּמָה (tes‑oo‑meth')
1. communion, association, partnership, κ. μαλθακά Pi. P. 1.97; οὔτε φιλία ἰδιώταις οὔτε κ. πόλεσιν Th. 3.10; ὅτῳ δὲ μὴ ἔνι κ., φιλία οὐκ ἂν εἴη Pl. Grg. 507e; ἐν ταῖς κ. τε καὶ ὁμιλίαις Id. Lg. 861e, cf. Smp. 182c; ἡ περὶ.. ἀνθρώπους πρὸς ἀλλήλους κ. ib. 188c; ἐν διαλύσει τῆς κ. Id. R. 343d; ἡ τῶν γυναικῶν κ. τοῖς ἀνδράσι, viz. co-education, ib. 466c; ἀνθρωπίνη κ. human society, Id. Plt. 276b; ἡ κ. ἡ πολιτική Arist. Pol. 1252a7; αὕτη ἡ κ., of marriage, ib. 1334b33; πόλις ἡ γενῶν καὶ κωμῶν κ. ib. 1281a1; fellowship, Act. Ap. 2.42, al.; ἡ πρὸς τὸν Δία κ. Arr. Epict. 2.19.27. joint-ownership, PLond. 2.311.2 (ii A.D.), etc.
2. c. gen. objecti, λυγραὶ.. τῶν ὅπλων κ. E. HF 1377; γάμων Pl. Lg. 721a; γυναικῶν Id. R. 461e; ἡ ἡδονῆς τε καὶ λύπης κ. συνδεῖ ib. 462b; τῶν πόνων Id. Ti. 87e; βοηθείας καὶ φιλίας D. 9.28; βίου, of marriage, BGU 1051.9 (Aug.); ἡ κ. τοῦ ἁγίου πνεύματος 2 Corinthians 13:14 (later, of Holy Communion, Just. Nov. 7.11); κ. τῶν ἱερῶν Supp.Epigr. 4.247 (Panamara); τίς θαλάσσης βουκόλοις κ.; what have herdsmen to do with the sea? E. IT 254; τίς δαὶ κατόπτρου καὶ ξίφους κ.; Ar. Th. 140; λύπη μανίας κοινωνίαν ἔχει τινά Alex. 296; opp. ἀκοινωνησία, Dam. Pr. 423. II sexual intercourse, E. Ba. 1276; γυναικὸς λαμβάνειν κοινωνίαν Amphis 20.3.
1. charitable contribution, alms, Romans 15:26, Hebrews 13:16, Jahresh. 4 Beibl. 37.
2. charitable disposition, opp. πλεονεξία, Corp.Herm. 13.9. Pythag. name for 2, Theol.Ar. 8.
Thayer's Expanded Definition
, , (), fellowship, association, community, communion, joint participation, contact
; in the N. T. as in classical Greek
1. the share which one has in anything, participation; with the genitive of the thing in which he shares: , Philippians 2:1; , 2 Corinthians 13:13 (14); , Philippians 3:10; , Philemon 1:6 (cf. Lightfoot); , i. e. in the benefits of Christ's death, 1 Corinthians 10:16 (cf. Meyer at the passage); in the (mystical) body of Christ or the church, ibid.; , 2 Corinthians 8:4; , Ephesians 3:9 Rec. , to obtain fellowship in the dignity and blessings of the Son of God, 1 Corinthians 1:9, where cf. Meyer.
2. contact, fellowship, intimacy: , the right hand as the sign and pledge of fellowship (in fulfilling the apostolic office), Galatians 2:9 (where see Lightfoot); ; what in common has light with darkness? 2 Corinthians 6:14 ( , Philo, leg. ad Gaium § 14at the end; , Stobaeus, serm. 28 (i. p. 87, Gaisf. edition)); used of the intimate bond of fellowship which unites Christians: absolutely, Acts 2:42; with added, Philippians 1:5; , , 1 John 1:3,7; of the fellowship of Christians with God and Christ, , 1 John 1:3,6, (which fellowship, according to John's teaching, consists in the fact that Christians are partakers in common of the same mind as God and Christ, and of the blessings arising therefrom). By a use unknown to secular authors in the N. T. denotes:
3. a benefaction jointly contributed, a collection, a contribution, as exhibiting an embodiment and proof of fellowship (cf. Grimm, Exeget. Hdbch. on Wisd. 8:18, p. 176): 2 Corinthians 8:4; , for the benefit of one, 2 Corinthians 9:13; (to make a contribution) , Romans 15:26; joined with , Hebrews 13:16. (Cf. Buttmann, § 132,8.)<1> 1>
Thayer's Expanded Greek Definition, Electronic Database.
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
Vocabulary of the Greek NT
It is worth noting that the subst. like the verb (s.v. κοινωνέω ad fin.) is used specially of the closest of all human relationships, e.g. BGU IV. 1051.9 (marriage contract of time of Augustus) συνχωρ [οῦσι Λύ ]καινα καὶ Ἱέραξ συνεληλυθέναι ἀλλ [ήλοις ] πρὸς βίου κοινωνίαν, the coeval 1052.7, and P Oxy XII. 1473.33 (A.D. 201) συνῆλθ [ο ]ν τῷ. . Ὡρείωνι πρὸς γάμου κοινωνία (l.–ίαν). We have the phrase κατὰ κοινωνίαν with gen., ";belonging in common to,"; in P Flor I. 41.5 (A.D. 140), al. For κοινωνία = ";partnership"; see P Ryl II. 117.16 (A.D. 269) ὁ ὁμ ]οπάτριός μου ἀδελφὸς. . πρὸς ὃν οὐδεμ ̣ι ̣α ̣[ν κοι ]ν ̣ω ̣ν ̣ίαν ε ̣̀χ ̣[ω, ";my brother on my father’s side, with whom I have no partnership,"; and the commercial association of Syll 300.54 (B.C. 170) (where see the editor’s note). Cf. the active relationship underlying the word in such passages as Acts 2:42, 2 Corinthians 13:13, Philippians 2:1, and the full discussion of the NT usage by Armitage Robinson in Hastings’ DB i. p. 460 ff. With 1 John 1:6 Sharp (p. 111) compares the use of the term in Epict. ii. 19. 27 περὶ τῆς πρὸς τὸν Δία κοινωνίας βουλευόμενον, ";aiming to have fellowship with Zeus.";
The Vocabulary of the Greek New Testament.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder
Frequency / Word / Parsing Lists [ Book | Word | Parsing ]
List of Word Forms
κοινωνια κοινωνία κοινωνίᾳ κοινωνιαν κοινωνίαν κοινωνιας κοινωνίας koinonia koinonía koinōnia koinōnía koinoníāi koinōníāi koinonian koinonían koinōnian koinōnían koinonias koinonías koinōnias koinōnías
Make A Difference, Today!
Sunday, July 24th, 2016
the Week of Proper 12 / Ordinary 17
Download the Language Fonts
Below you will find links to the TrueType font(s) used in this resource. Simply right-mouse click the link and save it to your fonts
Once you have finished you might need to close all open browsers and open your fonts directory to initialized the font(s) you just installed. SIL Galatia Greek font