Old & New Testament Greek
Parts of Speech:
Word Definition [ Thayer's | Strong's ]
Hebrew Equivalent Words:
‑ מֶמְשָׁלָה (mem‑shaw‑law')
‑ מַצָּב (mats‑tsawb')
1. management of a household or family, husbandry, thrift, Pl. Ap. 36b, R. 498a, X. Oec. 1.1, Arist. EN 1141b32, Pol. 1253b2 sqq.: pl., Pl. R. 407b; households, Arist. GA 744b18.
2. generally, direction, regulation, Epicur. Ephesians 1 p.29U.; esp. of a State, administration, αἱ κατὰ τὴν πόλιν οἰ. Din. 1.97; principles of government, Chrysipp.Stoic. 2.338; τῶν γεγονότων Plb. 1.4.3, al.; πολιτικὴ οἰ. Phld. Rh. 2.32 S.; ἡ τῆς ἀρχῆς οἰ. Hdn. 6.1.1; of a fund, SIG 577.9 (Milet., iii/ii B.C.).
3. arrangement, ἡ περὶ τὸν νοσέοντα οἰ. Hp. Epid. 6.2.24; ἡ περὶ τῶν ὠνίων οἰ. market, fair, SIG 695.35 (Magn. Mae.); οἰκονομίαι proceedings, IG 9(1).226 (Drymaea); τίνα οἰκονομίαν προσαγήγοχας what steps you have taken, PCair.Zen. 240.10 (iii B. C.); αὕτη φύσεως οἰ. Plb. 6.9.10; of a literary work, arrangement, ἡ κατὰ μέρος οἰ. D.S. 5.1, cf. D.H. Pomp. 4, Comp. 25, Sch. Od. 1.328: pl., Plu. 2.142a.
4. in Egypt, office of οἰκονόμος, PTeb. 24.62 (ii B.C.), al.
5. stewardship, LXX Isaiah 22:19, Luke 16:2.
6. plan, dispensation, Ephesians 1:10, Ephesians 3:2.
7. in bad sense, scheming, M.Ant. 4.51.
II public revenue of a state, BMus.Inscr. 897.14, al. (Halic., iii B.C.).
III transaction, contract, or legal instrument, CPR 4.1 (i A. D.), BGU 457.10 (ii A. D.), etc. magical operation or process, PMag.Par. 1.161,292,2009.
Thayer's Expanded Definition
, , (), from Xenophon
, and Plato
down, "the management of a household or of household affairs; specifically, the management, oversight, administration, of others' property; the office of a manager or overseer, stewardship": Luke 16:2-4
; hence, the word is transferred by Paul in a theocratic sense to the office (duty) intrusted to him by God (the lord and master) of proclaiming to men the blessings of the gospel, 1 Corinthians 9:17
; , , the office of administrator (stewardship) intrusted by God, Colossians 1:25
. universally, administration, dispensation,
which in a theocratic sense is ascribed to God himself as providing for man's salvation: ... , which furnish matter for disputes rather than the (knowledge of the) dispensation of the things by which God has provided for and prepared salvation, which salvation must be embraced by faith, 1 Timothy 1:4 L T Tr WH
; ... , which good will he purposed to show with a view to (that) dispensation (of his) by which the times (namely, of infancy and immaturity cf. Galatians 4:1-4
) were to be fulfilled, Ephesians 1:9
f; , that dispensation (or arrangement) by which the grace of God was granted me, Ephesians 3:2
; , the dispensation by which he carried out his secret purpose, Ephesians 3:9 G L T Tr WH
Thayer's Expanded Greek Definition, Electronic Database.
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
Vocabulary of the Greek NT
P Fay 108.10 (c. A.D. 171) ὑπὸ τὸν ὄρθρον, ";about dawn,"; the same phrase as in Acts 5:21 : cf. P Flor III. 305.11 (iv/A.D.) ὄρθρου, ";di buon mattino"; (Ed.).
The Vocabulary of the Greek New Testament.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder
Frequency / Word / Parsing Lists [ Book | Word | Parsing ]
List of Word Forms
οικονομια οἰκονομία οικονομιαν οικονομίαν οἰκονομίαν οικονομιας οικονομίας οἰκονομίας oikonomia oikonomía oikonomian oikonomían oikonomias oikonomías
Download the Language Fonts
Below you will find links to the TrueType font(s) used in this resource. Simply right-mouse click the link and save it to your fonts
Once you have finished you might need to close all open browsers and open your fonts directory to initialized the font(s) you just installed. SIL Galatia Greek font