for ὅτ' ἄν (ὅτε ἄν) as sts. in codd.:
1. of Time, whenever, with a conditional force, so as nearly to = ἐάν (v. εἰ B. II), referring to an indef. future (cf. ὅτε A. I. IC), Il. 1.519, etc.; also of events like ly to recur, 2.397, IG 12.97.9, etc.: also in ὅτε κεν Il. 1.567, 6.225: strengthd., ὅ. περ S. OC 301, Pl. R. 565a, 565d: repeated for rhet. effect, ὅ. ὡς ὑβρίζων, ὅ. ὡς ἐχθρὸς ὑπάρχων, ὅ. κονδύλοις, ὅ. ἐπὶ κόρρης D. 21.72. later causal, since, ὅταν.. ᾖ since it is, Arist. Mu. 395a19, cf. D.Chr. 7.105, Porph. Gaur. 11.2; in earlier examples the application to the particular case is less directly expressed, καὶ τοῦτο τυφλὸν ὅταν ἐγὼ βλέπω βραχύ this too (viz. my staff) is blind when I am (= when its owner is) short-sighted, E. Ion 744, cf. S. Aj. 137 (anap.), Pl. Sph. 241a, Din. 3.9.
2. never with ind. in early authors, exc. in Od. 10.410, ὡς δ' ὅταν.. σκαίρουσι (s. v. l.); in 24.88, ὅτε κεν.. ζώννυνταί τε νέοι καὶ ἐπεντύνονται ἄεθλα; and in Il. 12.41, ὡς δ' ὅτ' ἂν ἔν τε κύνεσσι καὶ ἀνδράσι.. στοέφεται (ἔναντα κύνεσσι cj. Monro): but freq. in LXX with impf. ind., as ὅταν εἰσήρχετο Genesis 38:9, cf. Plb. 4.32.5, Mark 3:11 : also with aor. ind., LXX Exodus 16:3, Revelation 8:1 : with fut. ind., ὅταν ἕξουσι Apollod. Poliorc. 187.12; ὅταν ὄψεσθε (v.l. ὄψησθε) Luke 13:28 : with pres. ind., ὅταν δείκνυται Str. 12.3.27 (s. v.l.): generally, ὅταν supersedes ὅτε in Hellenistic Greek.
3. never with opt. in early authors, exc. in orat. obliq., where in orat. recta the subj. with ὅταν would have stood, as perh. A. Pers. 450 may be expld. (ὅτ' ἐκνεῶν Elmsl.); ὅτε κεν folld. by ἵκοι, Il. 9.525.
II Special usages:
1. to introduce a simile, 10.5, Od. 5.394.
2. πρίν γ' ὅ., = πρίν γε ἢ ὅ. (v. ὅτε A. 11.2), 2.374.
3. εἰς ὅτε κεν until such time as.., ib.99, 19.144.
4. ὅ. τάχιστα, Lat. cum primum, Ar. Th. 1205, X. Cyr. 4.5.33; ὅ. πρῶτον Pl. Ly. 211b. [ ὅτᾱν only in later Poetry, Lyr.Alex. Adesp. 37.17.]