free while helping to build churches and support pastors in Uganda.
Click here to learn more!
Smith's Bible Dictionary
Mag'dala. (a tower). The chief manuscripts and versions exhibit the name as Magadan, as in the Revised Version. Into the limits of Magadan, Christ came by boat, over the Lake of Gennesareth, after his miracle of feeding the four thousand on the Mountain of the eastern side, Matthew 15:39, and from thence, he returned in the same boat to the opposite shore.
In the parallel narrative of St. Mark, Mark 8:10, we find the "parts of Dalmanutha," on the western edge of the Lake of Gennesareth. The Magdala, which conferred her name on Mary the Magdalene one of the numerous migdols, that is, towers, which stood in Palestine, was probably the place, of that name, which is mentioned in the Jerusalem Talmud, as near Tiberias, and this again, is as probably the modern el-Mejdel, a miserable little Muslim village, of twenty huts on the water's edge at the southeast corner of the plain of Gennesareth. It is now the only inhabited place on this plain.
These files are public domain.
Smith, William, Dr. Entry for 'Magdala'. Smith's Bible Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/sbd/m/magdala.html. 1901.