Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #07980 - שָׁלַט
1) to domineer, exercise power over, dominate, have mastery, be master, lord it over
1a) (Qal) to domineer, lord it over, become master
1b1) to give power of
1b2) to get mastery of
bm) uils (סהליתה ShLYTh) - Master: One who has dominion over another, also a rule or law as a master. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (14): governor, mighty, power, ruler, rule, captain, lawful - Strongs: H7989 (שַׁלִּיט), H7990 (שַׁלִּיט)
Jeff Brenner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
שָׁלַט fut. יִשְׁלַט a word of the later Hebrew
(1) to rule over any one, followed by בְּ Ecclesiastes 2:19, 8:9 and עַל Nehemiah 5:15.
(2) to obtain power, get the mastery, followed by בְּ Esther 9:1. (Arab. سَلِطَ to be hard, vehement, whence שַׁלִּיט No. 1, שֶׁלֶט; the power of ruling appears only in the derivative nouns, as سُلطْاَنُ power, hence the concr. Sultan. To this appears to answer Germ. fchalten).
(1) to cause to rule, Psalms 119:133.
(2) to give power over any thing, Ecclesiastes 5:18, 6:2. Compare מָשַׁל Exodus 21:8.
Derivatives, שֶׁלֶט-שָׁלְטָן, שַׁלִּיט.
the Sixth Week after Easter