the Week of Proper 20 / Ordinary 25
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #7980 - שָׁלַט
1) to domineer, exercise power over, dominate, have mastery, be master, lord it over
1a) (Qal) to domineer, lord it over, become master
1b1) to give power of
1b2) to get mastery of
bm) uils (סהליתה ShLYTh) - Master: One who has dominion over another, also a rule or law as a master. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (14): governor, mighty, power, ruler, rule, captain, lawful - Strongs: H7989 (שַׁלִּיט), H7990 (שַׁלִּיט)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Qal Perfect 3 masculine singular ׳שׁ Ecclesiastes 8:9, etc.; Imperfect 3 masculine singular יָשְׁלַט Ecclesiastes 2:19, etc.; Infinitive construct שְׁלוֺט Esther 9:1; — domineer, lord it over, עַל person, Nehemiah 5:15; ב person Ecclesiastes 8:9 (לְרַע לוֺ); ב of thing Ecclesiastes 2:19; become master of, ב person Esther 9:1 (twice in verse).
Hiph`il 1. give power of: Perfect 3 masculine singular suffix person וְהִשְׁלִימוֺ לֶאֱכֹל Ecclesiastes 5:18, so Imperfect 3 masculine singular suffix יַשְׁליטֶנּוּ Ecclesiastes 6:2 (both subject God).
2. = Qal, get mastery of: jussive 3 feminine singular אַלתַּֿשְׁלֶטבִּֿיכָּלאָֿ֑וֶן Psalm 119:133.
שְׁלֵט verb have power, rule (ᵑ7 Syriac; Biblical Hebrew (q. v.) late); —
Pe`al Perfect 3 masculine singular ׳שׁ Daniel 3:27,3masculine plural שְׁלִ֫טוּ Daniel 6:25; Imperfect 3 masculine singular יִשְׁלַ֑ט Daniel 5:7,3feminine singular תִּשְׁלַט Daniel 2:39,2masculine singular תִּשְׁלַ֑ט Daniel 5:16; — have power upon, ב of thing, Daniel 3:27 (of fire); fall upon, assault (ᵑ7 = מָּגַע בְּ), ב person Daniel 6:25 (of lions); subject person rule, be ruler, absolute, Daniel 5:7,16, subject kingdom, ב of earth, Daniel 2:39.
Haph`el make ruler: Perfect 3 masculine singular suffix הַשְׁלְטָח Daniel 2:38 (ב person, etc.); הַשְׁלְטֵהּ Daniel 2:48 (עַל of province).
שָׁלַט fut. יִשְׁלַט a word of the later Hebrew
(1) to rule over any one, followed by בְּ Ecclesiastes 2:19, 8:9 and עַל Nehemiah 5:15.
(2) to obtain power, get the mastery, followed by בְּ Esther 9:1. (Arab. سَلِطَ to be hard, vehement, whence שַׁלִּיט No. 1, שֶׁלֶט; the power of ruling appears only in the derivative nouns, as سُلطْاَنُ power, hence the concr. Sultan. To this appears to answer Germ. fchalten).
(1) to cause to rule, Psalms 119:133.
(2) to give power over any thing, Ecclesiastes 5:18, 6:2. Compare מָשַׁל Exodus 21:8.
Derivatives, שֶׁלֶט-שָׁלְטָן, שַׁלִּיט.
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.