Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #05080 - נָדַח
1) to impel, thrust, drive away, banish
1a1) to impel
1a2) to thrust away, banish
1b1) to be impelled
1b2) to be thrust out, be banished
1b2a) banished, outcast (participle)
1b3) to be driven away
1b4) to be thrust away, thrust aside
1c) (Pual) to be thrust into
1c1) thrust (participle)
1d1) to thrust, move, impel
1d2) to thrust out, banish
1d3) to thrust away, thrust aside
1e) (Hophal) to be chased, be hunted
1e1) chased, hunted (participle)
V) hdn (נדהה NDHh) - Drive: To drive an axe through wood or to drive someone or something out or away. KJV (52): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hiphil, Hophal, Pual, Participle) drive, out, away, outcast, cast, banish, bring, astray, chase, compel, down, expel - Strongs: H5080 (נָדַח)
Jeff Brenner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
נָדַח fut. יִדַּח prop. to thrust (ftoffen), to impel. (see the cogn. דָּחָה and the observations made there); hence
(1) to thrust forth, to expel, 2 Samuel 14:14 see Hiphil.
(2) to thrust against, (as an axe against a tree), followed by עַלּ Deuteronomy 20:19.
(1) pass. of Kal No. 2. to be thrust forth, to be impelled; Deuteronomy 19:5, “if he go with his neighbour into a wood to cut timber וְנִדְּחָה יָדוֹ בַגַּרְזֶן לִכְרֹת הָעֵץ וְנו׳ and his hand is impelled with the axe,” i.e. lifts up the axe to cut down a tree.
(2) pass. of Hiphil No. 2, to be expelled, driven out, Jeremiah 40:12 whence part. נִדָּח one expelled, an outcast, Isaiah 16:3, Isaiah 16:4, 27:13. Collect. Deuteronomy 30:4; Nehemiah 1:9, and fem. נִדָּחָה Micah 4:6; Zephaniah 3:19, outcasts. With suff. נִדְּחוֹ driven away by him, 2 Samuel 14:13.-Figuratively, Job 6:13, תּוּשִׁיָּה נִדְּחָה מִמֶּנִּי “health has fled away from me.” Used of dispersed and wandering cattle, Deuteronomy 22:1; Ezekiel 34:4, 16 Ezekiel 34:16.
(3) pass. of Hiphil No. 3, to be seduced, to suffer oneself to be seduced, Deuteronomy 4:19, 30:17.
Pual, to be driven onward, Isaiah 8:22, אֲפֵלָה מְנֻדָּח “driven to darkness,” compare Jeremiah 23:12.
(1) to thrust down, to cast down, Psalms 5:11, followed by מִן Psalms 62:5.
(2) to thrust out, to expel, to drive away, 2 Chronicles 13:9, e.g. the Israelites into other countries, Deuteronomy 30:1; Jeremiah 8:3, 23:3, Jeremiah 23:8, 29:14, 18 Jeremiah 29:18, 32:37 46:28 to scatter a flock, Jeremiah 23:2, 50:17.
(3) to seduce any One, Deuteronomy 13:14; Proverbs 7:21 followed by מִן to draw away from any thing, Deuteronomy 13:6 מֵעַל יְחוָֹה verse 11 Deuteronomy 13:11.
(4) to bring, to draw down (evil) on any one, followed by עַל 2 Samuel 15:14, compare Kal No. 2.
Hophal, part. מֻדָּח driven up and down, Isaiah 13:14.
Derivative noun, מַדּוּחִים.