Click here to get started today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #06206 - עָרַץ
1) to tremble, dread, fear, oppress, prevail, break, be terrified, cause to tremble
1a1) to cause to tremble, terrify
1b2) to tremble, feel dread
1b) (Niphal) to be awesome, be terrible
1c1) to regard or treat with awe, regard or treat as awful
1c2) to inspire with awe, terrify
Jeff Brenner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
עָרַץ fut. יַעֲרֹץ
(1) to terrify, to cause terror or trembling. (Arab. عرص Conj. VIII. to tremble (as the skin). عَرَّاصُ a trembling spear. Gr. perhaps ἀράσσω). Isaiah 2:19, 21 Psalms 10:18; Job 13:25. Isai. 47:12, אוּלַי תַּעֲרֹצִי “perhaps thou wilt terrify,” sc. thy enemies, wilt put them in fear. Arab. عرض is to resist, which comes from the same idea. (The ancient interpreters expressed, thou mayest become more strong, wilt strengthen thyself.)
(2) intrans. to tremble, to fear, Deuteronomy 1:29 followed by מִפְּנֵי at any one, Deuteronomy 7:21, 20:3 31:6 followed by an acc. Job 31:34.
Niphal, part. נַעֲרָץ terrible, dreadful, i.q. נוֹרָא Psalms 89:8.
(1) causat. to put in fear, Isaiah 8:13.
(2) to fear, followed by an acc. Isaiah 8:12, 29:23.
Derivatives, מַעֲרָצָה, עָדוּץ, עָרִיץ.
the Week of Proper 7 / Ordinary 12