Click here to get started today!
- 1 Thessalonians
by Frederick Brotherton Meyer
Outline of the First Epistle to the Thessalonians
Building Up One Another
Salutation, 1 Thessalonians 1:1
I. Founding and Growth of the Thessalonian Church, 1 Thessalonians 1:2-10 ; 1 Thessalonians 2:1-20 ; 1 Thessalonians 3:1-13
1. Fruits of the Gospel in Thessalonica , 1 Thessalonians 1:2-10
2. Paul’s Missionary Methods , 1 Thessalonians 2:1-12
3. Results of His Labor , 1 Thessalonians 2:13-20
4. Visit of Timothy , 1 Thessalonians 3:1-10
5. Benediction , 1 Thessalonians 3:11-13
II. The Walk of the Christian,1 Thessalonians 4:1-18; 1 Thessalonians 4:1-18 ; 1 Thessalonians 5:1-28
1. The Need of Purity , 1 Thessalonians 4:1-8
2. The Need of Love for the Brethren , 1 Thessalonians 4:9-12
3. The Return of Christ , 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
4. How to Be Prepared , 1 Thessalonians 5:1-8
5. The Will of God for the Christian , 1 Thessalonians 5:9-22
Thessalonica stood on the seaboard, and was the center of a large trade, which it shared with Corinth and Ephesus. It is the Saloniki of today, to which the interest of the world has recently been directed. It contained a large colony of Jews and a synagogue. The Apostle visited it, as recorded in Acts 17:2-9 . Probably he dispatched this Epistle from Corinth; compare 1 Thessalonians 1:1 ; 1 Thessalonians 3:1 with Acts 18:15 . It is the earliest of the Epistles and more elementary than the later ones. An interesting study would be to trace the development of the Apostle’s thought to the fuller and deeper teachings of the Epistles to the churches at Rome and Ephesus.
e-Sword Note: The following material was presented at the end of 1 Thessalonians in the printed edition
Review Questions on the First Epistle to the Thessalonians
( a ) How had the church in Thessalonica been planted, and how had it prospered?
( b ) What does the Christian need, and how is the return of Christ an incentive to it?
( c ) For what was the city of Thessalonica distinguished? By what name is it known today?
( d ) When was the letter to the Thessalonians written? What is its position among the Pauline writings?
( e ) How does the teaching of this Epistle compare with that of Romans and Ephesians?
Each question applies to the paragraph of corresponding number in the Comments .
1. How extensive was the influence of the Thessalonian Christians?
2. What had been the character of Paul’s ministry in Thessalonica?
3. How had the Thessalonians shared the experience of the Judean Christians?
4. To what does Paul refer as necessary to his very life?
5. How is holiness possible to believers?
6. What words of comfort does Paul give concerning those who are fallen asleep?
7. Unto what has God appointed us?
8. What are some of the practical commands with which the Epistle concludes?
the Week of Proper 13 / Ordinary 18