Click here to join the effort!
by Frederick Brotherton Meyer
Outline of the Epistle to the Ephesians
“The High Calling of God in Christ Jesus”
Salutation, Ephesians 1:1-2
Part One: Created In Christ Jesus, Ephesians 1:3-3:21
I. The Praise of His Glorious Grace , Ephesians 1:3-14
1. The Work of the Father,Ephesians 1:3-6; Ephesians 1:3-6
2. The Work of the Son,Ephesians 1:7-12; Ephesians 1:7-12
3. The Work of the Spirit,Ephesians 1:13-14; Ephesians 1:13-14
II. The Faith of the Ephesians , Ephesians 1:15-23
1. Thanksgiving for Their Present Faith,Ephesians 1:15; Ephesians 1:15
2. Prayer for Their Fuller Enlightenment, Ephesians 1:16-23
III. Past and Present Contrasted Ephesians 2:1-22
1. The Former Manner of Life of the Ephesians,Ephesians 2:1-3; Ephesians 2:1-3
2. How They Have Been Redeemed,Ephesians 2:4-10; Ephesians 2:4-10
3. The Former Character of the Ephesians,Ephesians 2:11-12; Ephesians 2:11-12
4. How They Have Been Transformed,Ephesians 2:13-22; Ephesians 2:13-22
IV. Paul’s Special Ministry , Ephesians 3:1-21
1. The Gentiles Are Fellow-Heirs of the Gospel, Ephesians 3:1-13
2. Prayer That the Ephesians May Realize Their Privilege,Ephesians 3:14-19; Ephesians 3:14-19
3. Doxology,Ephesians 3:20-21; Ephesians 3:20-21
PART TWO: FOR GOOD WORKS, Ephesians 4:1-6:20
I. The Christian in the Church , Ephesians 4:1-16
1. Uniformity of Christian Character,Ephesians 4:1-6; Ephesians 4:1-6
2. Variety of Christian Service, Ephesians 4:7-12
3. Culmination of Christian Development,Ephesians 4:13-16; Ephesians 4:13-16
II. The Christian in the World , Ephesians 4:17-32 ; Ephesians 5:1-21
1. Pagan Living Does Not Befit Christians,Ephesians 4:17-24; Ephesians 4:17-24
2. Points of Contrast, Ephesians 4:25-32
3. Living in the Light,Ephesians 5:1-14; Ephesians 5:1-14
4. Living in the Lord,Ephesians 5:15-21; Ephesians 5:15-21
III. The Christian in the Home , Ephesians 5:22-33 ; Ephesians 6:1-9
1. Duties of Wives,Ephesians 5:22-24; Ephesians 5:22-24
2. Duties of Husbands,Ephesians 5:25-33; Ephesians 5:25-33
3. Duties of Children, Ephesians 6:1-3
4. Duties of Parents, Ephesians 6:4
5. Duties of Servants, Ephesians 6:5-8
6. Duties of Masters, Ephesians 6:9
IV. The Good Fight of the Faith , Ephesians 6:10-20
1. The Whole Armor of God,Ephesians 6:10-17; Ephesians 6:10-17
2. Prevailing Prayer,Ephesians 6:18-20; Ephesians 6:18-20
Paul’s first visit to Ephesus is related in Acts 18:19-21 . The work commenced then was carried on by Apollos. On Paul’s second visit he remained three years. Later, on his way to Jerusalem, he held an affecting interview at Miletus with the elders of the Ephesian church. This Epistle was addressed to that church about four years afterward, during the early part of his imprisonment at Rome, and immediately after that to the Colossians, to which it bears a close resemblance. The foundation, course and destiny of the Church are the sublime subjects with which the Epistle deals, and the style is of a correspondingly elevated character.
e-Sword Note: The following material was presented at the end of Ephesians in the printed edition
Review Questions on the Epistle to the Ephesians
( a ) Into what two parts does this Epistle naturally divide, and what is the theme of each?
( b ) What different relationships of the Christian does it treat?
( c ) What was the occasion of Paul’s first visit to Ephesus? Who continued the work which the Apostle began?
( d ) How long did Paul labor here at a later time? When did he see the elders of the church for the last time?
( e ) When was the Epistle to the Ephesians written? What other Epistle does it closely resemble? What is said of its theme and style?
Each question applies to the paragraph of corresponding number in the Comments.
1. What is this Epistle sometimes called? What is the condition of a blessed life?
2. How does Paul describe the position occupied by the risen Christ?
3. What are the achievements of grace in the believer?
4. How is the present condition of the Ephesians contrasted with their former condition?
5. Why was it remarkable that the Gentiles should be fellow-heirs of the promise in Christ?
6. What was Paul’s great prayer for the Ephesian Christians?
7. What are the fruits of Christ’s ascension for believers?
8. What are some of the different offices in the Church? What is their common purpose?
9. What are the practical evidences of a godly life?
10. How is the Christian to be distinguished from the worldling?
11. Why is the Christian life a joyful life?
12. How is the marriage relation sanctified in Christ?
13. What is the first duty of children?
14. What is the armor of the Christian? What is Paul’s final request of Ephesian church?
the First Week of Advent