the Week of Proper 20 / Ordinary 25
F.B. Meyer's 'Through the Bible' Commentary Meyer's Commentary
by Frederick Brotherton Meyer
Outline of Ruth
The Origin of the House of David
1. The Sojourn of Elimelech and His Family in Moab , Ruth 1:1-5
2. The Return of Naomi, Accompanied by Ruth , Ruth 1:6-22
3. Ruth Gleans in the Field of Boaz , Ruth 2:1-23
4. Ruth Makes Herself Known to Her Kinsman , Ruth 3:1-18
5. The Marriage of Ruth and Boaz , Ruth 4:1-12
6. The Ancestry of David , Ruth 4:13-22
This exquisite idyll is united as a supplement to the book of Judges by the word translated “now,” with which it opens. It was evidently written after the monarchy was established. It has been ascribed to the prophet Samuel, and it is easy to understand the special interest with which he would narrate the origin of the family of the youth whom he had anointed as future king.
It is clear, however, from the need of explaining a custom which had become obsolete, that the events narrated took place in the early settlement of Israel in the Land of Promise, and probably before the judgeship of Gideon. The story gives a graphic and admirable picture of the simplicity and beauty of the home life of those early years; and it teaches us that we need never despair of our life, for in ways we know not of, God is bringing good out of evil, and sunshine from the dark and cloudy sky.
e-Sword Note: The following material was presented at the end of Ruth in the printed edition
Review Questions on Ruth
( a ) Who are the characters of the book?
( b ) What are the chief events in order?
( c ) How is the connection indicated between this book and Judges?
( d ) When was it written?
( e ) What is its purpose?
Each question applies to the paragraph of corresponding number in the Comments .
1. What prompted Naomi to return to Bethlehem?
2. What differences appear in the characters of Ruth and Orpah?
3. How did Ruth find a friend in need?
4. Describe the character of Boaz.
5. What was the Hebrew custom in the remarriage of a widow?
6. How was Naomi’s sorrow turned into joy?