free while helping to build churches and support pastors in Uganda.
Click here to learn more!
- 2 Timothy
by Daniel Whedon
THE last of the thirteen Pauline epistles. It contains the death-notes of the apostle in expectancy of a martyrdom soon to be accomplished. It was clearly written a brief period before his last trial, and contains references to his first.
Greatly resembling the first epistle in style, indicating that both were written at the same general period, it is less an official charge and more a personal communication.
PLAN OF THE EPISTLE.
I. PAUL’S HORTATORY REHEARSAL OF THE PAST, PREPARATORY TO A CONFIRMATION OF TIMOTHY IN THE FUTURE 2 Timothy 1:3-18
1. Faithfulness of Timothy’s parentage an incitement to firmness for the glorious gospel of Christ 2 Timothy 1:3-10
2. Paul’s apostleship and committed trust of the gospel doctrine2 Timothy 1:11-14; 2 Timothy 1:11-14
3. Maintained amid apostasies of many, with rare exception 2 Timothy 1:15-18
II. CONFIRMATION OF TIMOTHY IN THE COMING FUTURE 2 Timothy 2:1-26
1. Personal appeal for boldness, hardihood, endurance of sufferings, in hope of final glory 2 Timothy 2:1-13
2. Timothy’s duty of warning the people against the noisy errors of apostates from the sure foundation 2 Timothy 2:14-19
3. Personally purged and pure, both from lusts and heresy, he may meekly instruct others 2 Timothy 2:20-26
III. PREDICTION OF THE APOSTASY AT THE CLOSE OF THE APOSTOLIC AGE, AND CONFIRMATION OF TIMOTHY AGAINST IT 2 Timothy 3:1-17
1. False and demoralized character of the coming heretics 2 Timothy 3:1-9
2. But as Timothy knows the trueness and purity of Paul 2 Timothy 3:10-13
3. So he should also be true, according to the Scriptures, inspired to furnish and qualify the minister of God 2 Timothy 3:14-17
IV. ST. PAUL’S CLOSING CHARGE TO TIMOTHY SALUTATIONS AND BENEDICTIONS 2 Timothy 4:1-22
1. Admonition to firmness against errorists2 Timothy 4:1-5; 2 Timothy 4:1-5
2. Triumphal anticipation of martyrdom 2 Timothy 4:6-8
3. St. Paul’s personal relations to his fellows 2 Timothy 4:9-13
4. Reminiscences of his former trial 2 Timothy 4:14-18
5. Salutations and benedictions 2 Timothy 4:19-22
the Week of Proper 24 / Ordinary 29