Click here to join the effort!
The American Church Dictionary and Cycopedia
Woman's Auxiliary, the
This is a Society, as its name indicates, composed of the women of the Church which acts as an auxiliary to the DOMESTIC AND FOREIGN MISSIONARY SOCIETY (which see), and by the labors and generous gifts of its members supplements the work of the general Society. There is also a Junior Department including the younger women of the Church who have become interested in missionary work. Besides systematic efforts to raise money for the work of missions, the members prepare boxes of clothing and household necessities for the families of missionaries. The Auxiliary is very helpful and has enlisted the faithful labors of Christian women in fifty-nine dioceses and twenty-one missionary districts. An idea of the work accomplished by this organization may be gained by considering the report made for the year ending September 1st, 1900, from which it is learned that the Woman's Auxiliary contributed that year the noble sum of $210,841.55, and prepared and sent out 4,680 boxes valued at $191,434.96, making a total for the year of $402,276.51. It may be interesting to note that the UNITED OFFERING placed on the Altar by the Woman's Auxiliary at the Triennial meeting held in San Francisco during the General Convention of 1901, amounted to the handsome sum of $104,295.53. The Headquarters of the Society are in the Church Missions House, New York City.
These files are public domain.
Miller, William James. Entry for 'Woman's Auxiliary, the'. The American Church Dictionary and Cyclopedia. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/acd/w/womans-auxiliary-the.html. 1901.