Click here to get started today!
Morrish Bible Dictionary
σάρξ. This term is used in various senses in scripture. The principal are
1. The estate of man: "all flesh shall see the salvation of God," Luke 3:6; "the Word became flesh." John 1:14 .
2. The material part of man and of animals: "all flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts." 1 Corinthians 15:39 .
3. The same kindred: "thou art my bone and my flesh," Genesis 29:14; "he is our brother, and our flesh." Genesis 37:27 .
4. Union: "they shall be one flesh," Genesis 2:24; Ephesians 5:29-31 .
5. Man's nature, but corrupted by sin: "that which is born of the flesh is flesh," John 3:6; "sinful flesh," Romans 8:3 .
6. The state which characterises man before knowing deliverance: Romans 7 , Romans 8:8,9 .
7. Though no longer the state of the Christian, yet the flesh is in him, and is antagonistic to the Spirit, "the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye should not do the things that ye would." Galatians 5:17 . Thus the Spirit resists in the Christian the accomplishment of the lusts of the flesh.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Morrish, George. Entry for 'Flesh'. Morrish Bible Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/mbd/f/flesh.html. 1897.