Click here to learn more!
Morrish Bible Dictionary
1. The place where Jacob and Laban parted, after making a covenant and raising a heap of stones as a witness of the covenant and as a landmark between them. It was on the east of the Jordan, somewhere in Gilead. Genesis 31:49; Judges 10:17; Judges 11:11,29,34 . It is probably the place mentioned in Judges 20:1,3; Judges 21:1,5,8 . Some suppose it to be identical with RAMATH-MIZPEH in Joshua 13:26; and this to be the same as RAMOTH-GILEAD. Others judge these to be all different places and that No. 1 is identified with Suf , 32 18' N, 35 50' E.
2. LAND OF MIZPEH, the resort of the Hivites, who joined with Jabin to attack Joshua. It was 'under Hermon,' and therefore in the north of Palestine, Joshua 11:3; this is possibly the same as
3. VALLEY OF MIZPEH to which Joshua chased the allies. Joshua 11:8 . Probably the extensive valley on the east of Mount Lebanon.
4. Town in the lowlands of Judah. Joshua 15:38 . Not identified.
5. City of Moab, where David placed his parents for safety. 1 Samuel 22:3 . Not identified.
6. City of Benjamin, in the vicinity of Ramah and Gibeon. Joshua 18:26 . It was the city to which Samuel gathered the people, as 'to the Lord,' and where he judged Israel, and where also he presented Saul to them as their king. 1 Samuel 7:5-16; 1 Samuel 10:17 . The city was rebuilt by Asa king of Judah, and, after the destruction of Jerusalem, Gedaliah the governor established himself there. 1 Kings 15:22; 2 Kings 25:23,25; 2 Chronicles 16:6; Jeremiah 40:6-15; Jeremiah 41:1-16; Hosea 5:1 . Probably the same place is alluded to in Nehemiah 3:7,15,19 . Identified by some with Neby Samwil, 31 50' N, 35 10' E .
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Morrish, George. Entry for 'Mizpah, Mizpeh'. Morrish Bible Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/mbd/m/mizpah--mizpeh.html. 1897.