Click here to learn more!
Smith's Bible Dictionary
1. One of the chief people, of the tribe of Benjamin. 1 Chronicles 8:23.
2. The last of the six sons of Azel, a descendant of Saul. 1 Chronicles 8:38; 1 Chronicles 9:44. (B.C. 588).
3. "Son of Maachah," that is, possibly a Syrian of Aram-maachah, one of the heroes of David's guard. 1 Chronicles 11:43. (B.C. 1046).
4. The sons of Hanan were among the Nethinim, who returned from Babylon with Zerubbabel. Ezra 2:46; Nehemiah 7:49. (B.C. 536).
5. One of the Levites, who assisted Ezra in his public exposition of the law. Nehemiah 8:7. (B.C. 446). The same person is probably mentioned in Nehemiah 10:10.
6. One of the "heads" of "the people," who also sealed the covenant. Nehemiah 10:22. (B.C. 410).
7. Another of the chief laymen, on the same occasion. Nehemiah 10:26.
8. Son of Zaccur, son of Mattaniah, whom Nehemiah made one of the store. Keepers of the provisions collected as tithes. Nehemiah 13:13.
9. Son of Igdaliah. Jeremiah 35:4. (B.C. 410).
These files are public domain.
Smith, William, Dr. Entry for 'Hanan'. Smith's Bible Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/sbd/h/hanan.html. 1901.