free while helping to build churches and support pastors in Uganda.
Click here to learn more!
Smith's Bible Dictionary
Ma-ase'iah. (work of the Lord). The name includes four persons who had married foreign wives in the time of Ezra.
1. A descendant of Jeshua, the priest. Ezra 10:18.
2. A priest, of the sons of Harim. Ezra 10:21.
3. A priest, of the sons of Pashur. Ezra 10:22.
4. One of the laymen, a descendant of Pahath-moab. Ezra 10:30.
5. The father of Azariah. Nehemiah 3:23.
6. One of those who stood on the right hand of Ezra when he read the law to the people. Nehemiah 8:4.
7. A Levite who assisted on the same occasion. Nehemiah 8:7.
8. One of the heads of the people whose descendants signed the covenant with Nehemiah. Nehemiah 10:25.
9. Son of Baruch, the descendant of Pharez, the son of Judah. Nehemiah 11:5.
10. A Benjamite, ancestor of Sallu. Nehemiah 11:7.
11. Two priests of this name are mentioned, Nehemiah 12:41-42, as taking part in the musical service which accompanied the dedication of the wall of Jerusalem under Ezra. One of them is probably the same as Maaseiah, 6.
12. Father of Zephaniah, who was a priest in the reign of Zedekiah. Jeremiah 21:1; Jeremiah 29:25; Jeremiah 37:3.
13. Father of Zedekiah, the false prophet. Jeremiah 29:21.
14. One of the Levites of the second rank, appointed by David to sound "with psaltries on Alamoth." 1 Chronicles 15:18; 1 Chronicles 15:20.
15. The son of Adaiah, and one of the captains of hundreds in the reign of Joash king of Judah. 2 Chronicles 23:1.
16. An officer of high rank in the reign of Uzziah. 2 Chronicles 26:11. He was probably a Levite, compare 1 Chronicles 23:4, and engaged in a semi-military capacity.
17. The "king's son," killed by Zichri, the Ephraimitish hero, in the invasion of Judah by Pekah, king of Israel, during the reign of Ahaz. 2 Chronicles 28:7.
18. The governor of Jerusalem in the reign of Josiah. 2 Chronicles 34:8.
19. The son of Shallum, a Levite of high rank in the reign of Jehoiakim. Jeremiah 35:4. Compare 1 Chronicles 9:19.
20. A priest; ancestor of Baruch and Seraiah, the sons of Neriah. Jeremiah 32:12; Jeremiah 51:59.
These files are public domain.
Smith, William, Dr. Entry for 'Ma-aseiah'. Smith's Bible Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/sbd/m/ma-aseiah.html. 1901.
the Week of Proper 24 / Ordinary 29