1911 Encyclopedia Britannica
Bethesda, North Wales
An urban district of Carnarvonshire, N. Wales, 5 m. from Bangor, by a branch of the London & North-Western railway. Pop. (1901) 5281. It lies near the lower end of the fine Nant Ffrancon (valley of the Ogwen stream). The scriptural name is due, as often in Wales, to the village or hamlet taking its title from the Nonconformist church. Here are extensive slate quarries belonging to Lord Penrhyn. A narrow-gauge railway connects these with Port Penrhyn, at the mouth of the stream Cegid (hemlock, "cicuta" ), which admits the entry of vessels of 300 tons to the quay at low water.
These files are public domain.
Chisholm, Hugh, General Editor. Entry for 'Bethesda, North Wales'. 1911 Encyclopedia Britanica. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/bri/b/bethesda-north-wales.html. 1910.