Click here to get started today!
1911 Encyclopedia Britannica
A municipal borough in the southern parliamentary division of Essex, England, contiguous to West Ham, and thus forming geographically part of the eastward extension of London. Pop. (1901) 96,018. Its modern growth has been very rapid, the population being in the main of the artisan class. There are some chemical and other factories. The ancient parish church of St Mary Magdalen retains Norman work in the chancel, which terminates in an eastern apse. There is a monument for Edmund Neville who claimed the earldom of Westmorland in the 17th century, and William Stukeley, the antiquary, was buried in the churchyard. East Ham was incorporated in 1904, and among its municipal undertakings is a technical college (1905). The corporation consists of a mayor, 6 aldermen and 18 councillors. Area, 33202 acres.
These files are public domain.
Chisholm, Hugh, General Editor. Entry for 'East Ham'. 1911 Encyclopedia Britanica. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/bri/e/east-ham.html. 1910.