Consider helping today!
1911 Encyclopedia Britannica
A small village of Rockbridge county, Virginia, in the western part of the state, 179 m. by rail W. of Richmond, and about 16 m. S.E. of Lexington, the county-seat. It is served by the Chesapeake & Ohio and the Norfolk & Western railways. In the vicinity of the village, which is about 1500 ft.
above sea-level, is the great natural curiosity from which it derives its name - a bridge of natural rock 90 ft. long and from 5 o to 150 ft. wide, which spans Cedar Creek at a height of 15 ft. above that stream. It consists of horizontal limestone strata, and is the remains of the roof of a cave or underground tunnel through which the creek once flowed. It is crossed by a public road. In the village are magnesia and lithia springs and a saltpetre cave, which was worked during the War of 1812 and the Civil War. A royal grant dated the 5th of July 1774 conveyed to Thomas Jefferson a tract of 157 acres, "including the Natural Bridge on Cedar Creek," and it did not pass from his estate until 1833.
These files are public domain.
Chisholm, Hugh, General Editor. Entry for 'Natural Bridge'. 1911 Encyclopedia Britanica. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/bri/n/natural-bridge.html. 1910.
the Week of Christ the King / Proper 29 / Ordinary 34