Condensed Biblical Cyclopedia
Duration of the Sojourn in Egypt
Moses says the "sojourning" of the children in Israel was four Hundred thirty years (Exodus 12:40,41 ), but he does not say they sojourned in Egypt all this time. Paul says that the law was four hundred thirty Years after the promise (Galatians 3:17 ). Both the Septuagint and Samaritan Pentateuch translate (Exodus 12:40 ): "Now the sojourning of the children and of their fathers, which they sojourned in the land of Canaan and in the land of Egypt was four hundred and thirty years" (Genesis 15:13 ). I regard as an expression in round numbers of the time that the Hebrews were to dwell in a strange land. Bear in mind That the Hebrews were strangers in the land of Canaan as elsewhere, Until they entered it under the leadership of Joshua. Abraham, Isaac, And Jacob were strangers in this land (Genesis 23:4-19; Acts 7:5; Hebrews 11:8,9 ). Abraham's seed--Isaac and Jacob--lived and died sojourners in strange Lands (Genesis 26:17-32; Genesis 35:27-29; Genesis 46:1-5; Genesis 47:28 ). The Hebrews sojourned two hundred fifteen years in Canaan and two hundred fifteen years in Egypt.
- It was twenty-five years from Abraham's entrance into Canaan to the birth of Isaac (Genesis 12:4,5; Genesis 21:5 ).
- It was sixty years from the birth of Isaac to the birth of Jacob (Genesis 25:26 ).
- It was one hundred thirty years from Jacob's birth to his introduction to Pharaoh. (25 + 60 + 130 = 215) (Genesis 47:1-9 ).
- It was two hundred fifteen years from Abraham's entrance into Canaan to Jacob's introduction to Pharaoh.
- It was four hundred thirty years from the promise to Abraham (Genesis 12:1-3 ) to the exodus or the giving of the law. (430 - 215 = 215) Exodus 12:40,41; Galatians 3:17 ).
- It was, therefore, two hundred fifteen years from Jacob's introduction to Pharaoh to the exodus.
These files are public domain and are a derivative of an electronic edition that is available from the Online-Bible.
Johnson, Ashley S. Entry for 'Duration of the Sojourn in Egypt'. Condensed Biblical Cyclopedia. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/cbc/d/duration-of-the-sojourn-in-egypt.html. 1896.