Click to donate today!
Condensed Biblical Cyclopedia
Events of the Encampment
The important events at the encampment at Mount Sinai were:
- The people entered into a covenant with the Lord (Exodus 19:1-8 ).
- The people and priests were sanctified (Exodus 19:9-25 ).
- The ten commandments were proclaimed (Exodus 19:1-25; Exodus 20:1-17; Deuteronomy 5:1-22 ).
- The people were greatly frightened by the voice of the Lord and Requested Moses to speak to them (Exodus 20:18-21 ).
- Moses, accompanied part of the way by Joshua and others, retired Into the mountain, where he spent forty days and nights with the Lord (Exodus 24:1,2,9-18 ).
- Moses received the pattern for the Tabernacle (Exodus 25:1-40 ).
- Moses was commanded to set Aaron and his sons apart for the Priestly office (Exodus 28:1 ).
- Bezaleel and Aholiab were called upon to take the lead in the Construction of the house of the Lord (Exodus 31:1-6 ).
- The Lord gave Moses two tables of stone with the ten Commandments written upon them (Exodus 31:18 ).
- The people, led by Aaron, fell into idolatry (Exodus 32:1-6 ).
- Moses pleaded in their behalf but broke the tables of stone as He descended from the mountain (Exodus 32:7-24 ).
- The Levites showed their devotion to the cause of the Lord (Exodus 32:25-35 ).
- Moses had a glimpse of the glory of God (Exodus 33:12-23 ).
- The tables of stone were renewed (Exodus 34:1-28 ).
- Moses returned from the mountain, erected an altar and Sacrifices were offered upon it (Exodus 24:3-5; Exodus 35:29-35 ).
- The people again entered into a covenant with the Lord (Exodus 24:7,8; Hebrews 9:18-21 ).
- Moses called upon the people for a freewill offering of Material for the construction of the Tabernacle (Exodus 35:1-29 ).
- The people gave with such liberality that it was necessary to Restrain them (Exodus 36:1-7 ).
- The Tabernacle was set up (Exodus 40:1-38 ).
- Aaron and his sons were consecrated and fire descended upon the Brazen altar (Leviticus 8:1-36; Leviticus 9:1-24 ).
- Nadab and Abihu were slain for desecrating the worship of God (Leviticus 10:1,2 ).
- The Levites were consecrated (Numbers 8:1-26 ).
- The second Passover was observed (Numbers 9:1-15 ).
- The order of the encampment was regulated (Numbers 2:1-34 ).
- The princes made their offerings (Numbers 7:1-9 ).
- The people were numbered (Numbers 1:1-46 ).
These files are public domain and are a derivative of an electronic edition that is available from the Online-Bible.
Johnson, Ashley S. Entry for 'Events of the Encampment'. Condensed Biblical Cyclopedia. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/cbc/e/events-of-the-encampment.html. 1896.