The Nuttall Encyclopedia
Situated on a low reef of rocks submerged at high tide, 14 m. SW. of Plymouth; first built of wood by Winstanley, 1696; destroyed by a storm in 1703; rebuilt of wood on a stone base by Rudyard; burnt in 1755, and reconstructed by Smeaton of solid stone; the present edifice, on a different site, was completed by Sir James Douglas in 1882, is 133 ft. in height, and has a light visible 17½ m. off.
Wood, James, ed. Entry for 'Eddystone Lighthouse'. The Nuttall Encyclopedia. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/nut/e/eddystone-lighthouse.html. Frederick Warne & Co Ltd. London. 1900.