Click here to get started today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #05613 - סָפַר
1) scribe, secretary
Nm) rpx (ספר SPR) - I. Scroll:A document or record written on a sheet of skin or papyrus and rolled up. [Hebrew and Aramaic] II. Census:A record of numbers. III. Scribe:One who records. [Aramaic only] KJV (12): book, roll, letter, evidence, bill, learning, register, scribe - Strongs: H5609 (סְפַר), H5610 (סְפָר), H5612 (סִפְרָה), H5613 (סָפַר)
Jeff Brenner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
סָפַר fut. יִסְפֹּר.
(1) prop. i.q. Arab. شفر to scratch, to scrape (kindred to צָפַר No. II, ظفر); hence to polish (compare סַפִּיר, and the cogn. verb שָׁפַר).
(2) specially to inscribe letters on a stone; hence to write. Part. סֹפֵר a scribe, Psalms 45:2; Ezra 9:2, Ezra 9:3 specially
(a) the king’s scribe, i.e. the friend of the king, whose office it was to write his letters, 2 Samuel 8:17, 20:25 2 Kings 12:11, 19:2 22:3, seq.
(b) a military scribe, who has the charge of keeping the muster rolls, Jeremiah 37:15, 52:25 2 Kings 25:19 compare 2 Chronicles 26:11; Isaiah 33:18 gener. used of a general, Judges 5:14.
(c) in the later books, a person skilled in the sacred writings, γραμματεύς, 1 Chronicles 27:32; Ezra 7:6, a name by which Ezra is called; Nehemiah 8:1, seq.; 12:26, 36 Nehemiah 12:36; Ezra 7:11.
(3) to number, Genesis 15:5; Leviticus 15:13, 28 Leviticus 15:28.
Niphal, pass. of Kal No. 3, to be numbered, Genesis 16:10, 32:13.
(1) i.q. Kal No. 3, to number, Job 38:37; Psalms 40:6.
(2) to narrate, to recount (prop. to enumerate, compare Germ. zählen, erzählen), Genesis 24:66, 40:8 Job 28:27 followed by אֶל concerning any thing, Psalms 2:7, 69:27 especially to tell with praise, to celebrate, Psalms 19:2, 40:6 78:6.
(3) simpl. to speak, to utter words, Psalms 73:15; Isaiah 43:26.
Pual, סֻפַּר pass. of Piel No. 2, to be narrated, Psalms 22:31; Job 37:20.
Derivatives, סְפוֹרָה, סַפִּיר [מִסְפָּר], and the four following nouns
the Week of Proper 6 / Ordinary 11