Click to donate today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #08050 - שְׁמוּאֵל
Samuel = “his name is El”
1) son of Elkanah by his wife Hannah and judge or prophet of Israel during the days of Saul and David
2) son Ammihud and the prince of the tribe of Simeon who was chosen to divide the land of Canaan between the tribes. Spelled ‘Shemuel’
3) son of Tola and grandson of Issachar. Spelled ‘Shemuel’
שְׁמוּאֵל pr.n. Samuel, [Shemuel] (according to 1 Samuel 1:20, i.q. שְׁמוּעֲאֵל “heard of God,” unless it be preferred “name of God,” taking שְׁמוּ as a sing. const. i.q. שֵׁם, compare רֵעַ and רְעוּ, מֵת and מְתוּ, פְּנוּ, פְּנִי i.q. פָּנֶה face [the Scripture derivation of a name must always be the true one]).
(1) the name of a very celebrated judge and prophet of the Hebrews, the son of Elkanah, of the tribe of Ephraim (1 Samuel 1:1) [this is wholly incorrect; he was a Levite].
(2) Another of the same name, also the son of Elkanah, grandfather of Heman, 1 Chronicles 6:13, 18 1 Chronicles 6:18, who is mentioned among the Levites and singers. [But this is the same person as No. 1.]
(3) Numbers 34:24.
(4) 1 Chronicles 7:2.
the Fourth Week after Epiphany