the Fifth Week of Lent
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #2148 - זְכַרְיָה
Zechariah = “Jehovah remembers”
1) 11th in order of the minor prophets; a priest, son of Berechiah and grandson of Iddo, who, along with Haggai, directed the rebuilding of the temple in the days of Zerubbabel
2) king of Israel, son of Jeroboam II
3) son of Meshelemiah of Shelemiah, a Korhite, and keeper of the north gate of the tabernacle of the congregation
4) one of the sons of Jehiel
5) a Levite of the second order in the temple band in the time of David
6) one of the princes of Judah in the reign of Jehoshaphat
7) son of the high priest Jehoiada, in the reign of Joash king of Judah, who was stoned in the court of the temple
8) a Kohathite Levite in the reign of Josiah
9) the leader of the sons of Pharosh who returned with Ezra
10) son of Bebai
11) one of the chiefs of the people whom Ezra summoned in council at the river Ahava; stood at Ezra’s left hand when Ezra expounded the law to the people
12) one of the family of Elam who had married a foreign wife after the captivity
13) ancestor of Athaiah or Uthai
14) a Shilonite, descendant of Perez, grandfather of Athaiah
15) a priest, son of Pashur
16) the representative of the priestly family of Iddo in the days of Joiakim the son of Jeshua; possibly the same as 1 above
17) one of the priests, son of Jonathan, who blew with the trumpets at the dedication of the city wall by Ezra and Nehemiah
18) a chief of the Reubenites at the time of the captivity by Tiglath-pileser
19) one of the priests who accompanied the ark from the house of Obed-edom
20) son of Isshiah of Jesiah, a Kohathite Levite descended from Uzziel
21) 4th son of Hosah, of the children of Merari
22) a Manassite, father of Iddo
23) father of Jahaziel. He prophesied in the spirit
24) one of the sons of Jehoshaphat
25) a prophet in the reign of Uzziah, who appears to have acted as the king’s counsellor, but of whom nothing is known
26) father of Abijah or Abi, Hezekiah’s mother
27) one of the family of Asaph in the reign of Hezekiah
28) one of the rulers of the temple in the reign of Josiah
29) son of Jeberechiah who was taken by the prophet Isaiah as one of the ‘faithful witnesses to record’ when he wrote concerning Maher-shalal-hash-baz
1זכריהו, king of Israel, son of Jeroboam II, 2 Kings 15:8 = זכריה 2 Kings 14:29; 2 Kings 15:11.
2זכריהו, father of Hezekiah's mother 2 Chronicles 29:1 = זכריה 2 Kings 18:2.
3זכריהו, contemporary of Isaiah Isaiah 8:2.
4 זכריהו, a Reubenite 1 Chronicles 5:7.
5זכריה, a Benjamite 1 Chronicles 9:37 (ᵐ5 Ζαχαρια, A Ζαχχουρᵐ5 L Ζεχρει) = זָ֑כֶר 1 Chronicles 8:31 (see [I. זֶכֶר]).
6זכריהו, a Manassite 1 Chronicles 27:21 (ᵐ5 Ζαβδειου, ᵐ5 L Ζαχαριου).
7זכריהו, a son of Jehoshaphat 2 Chronicles 21:2.
8 זכריה, a captain of Jehosh. 2 Chronicles 17:7.
9זכריהו, teacher of Uzziah 2 Chronicles 26:5.
10 Levites, זכריהו:
a. 1 Chronicles 15:18 = זכריה 1 Chronicles 15:20,1Chronicles 16:5.
b. 1 Chronicles 24:25.
c. 1 Chronicles 26:2,14.
d. 1 Chronicles 26:11.
e. 2 Chronicles 20:14.
f. 2 Chronicles 29:13 (ᵐ5 Ἀζαριας, A Ζαχαριας, so ᵐ5 L). זכריה:
g. 1 Chronicles 9:21.
h. 2 Chronicles 34:12.
i. an Asaphite Nehemiah 12:35.
11 priests, זכריהו:
a. 1 Chronicles 15:24
b. 2 Chronicles 35:8. זכריה:
c. 2 Chronicles 24:20 (ᵐ5 Ἀζαριαν; ᵐ5 L Ζαχαριαν; probably referred to Matthew 23:35, where apparently confusion with f).
d. Nehemiah 11:12.
e. Nehemiah 12:41.
f. the well-known prophet Zechariah 1:1,7; Zechariah 7:1,8; Nehemiah 12:16 [compare Aramaic Ezra 5:1; Ezra 6:14].
12 returned exiles, זכריה:
a. Ezra 8:3 and perhaps Ezra 8:16, compare Nehemiah 8:4.
b. Ezra 8:11 (ᵐ5 Ἀζαριας, A Ζαχαριας, so ᵐ5 L).
c. Ezra 10:26.
d. a man of Judah Nehemiah 11:4.
e. id. Nehemiah 11:5 (ᵐ5 Θηζεια, א Θηδεια, A Ζαχαριου, so ᵐ5 L).
זְכַרְיָה proper name, masculine prophet (Biblical Hebrew id.), Ezra 5:1; Ezra 6:14.
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights reserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
זְכַרְיָה & זְכַרְיָהוּ (“whom Jehovah remembers”), pr.n. [Zechariah, Zachariah], (Greek Ζαχαρίας
(1) of a king of Israel, the son of Jeroboam II., killed by Shallum after a reign of six months, B.C. 773, -2 Ki. 15:811.
(2) of a prophet who lived after the Babylonish captivity, whose prophecies form a part of the canon of Scripture. He was the son of Barachiah, the grandson of Iddo the prophet (comp. בֵּן No. 1), Zechariah 1:1, Zechariah 1:7; Ezra 5:1, 6:14.
(3) of a son of Barachiah [Jeberechiah], cotemporary with Isaiah, and also as it seems a prophet, Isaiah 8:2 comp. 16 [?].
(4) of a prophet the son of Jehoiada, slain in the court of the temple, in the reign of Joash, 2 Chronicles 24:20, seq.
(5) of a prophet living at Jerusalem in the reign of Uzziah, 2 Chronicles 26:5, etc.
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.