Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #2506 - חֵלֶק
1) portion, share, part, territory
1a) portion, share
1b) portion, tract, parcel (of land)
1c) one’s portion, one’s possession
1d) (chosen) portion
1e) portion, award (from God)
2) smoothness, seductiveness, flattery
חֵלֶק with suff. חֶלְקִי pl. חֲלָקִים const. חֶלְקֵי, once חַלְּקֵי with Dag. euph. Isaiah 57:6), m.
(1) smoothness. Isaiah 57:6, בְּחַלְּקֵי־נַחַל חֶלְקֵךְ “in the smoothnesses (i.e. in the bare places devoid of wood, comp. Joshua 11:17) of the valley is thy lot,” i.e. thou worshippest idols; where there is a play upon the double signification of the word חֵלֶק smoothness, a lot, portion. [In Thes. it is suggested that the smooth stones of the brook are the materials of which the idols were made.] Metaph. flatteries, Proverbs 7:21.
(2) lot, part, portion (see the root No. 2). חֵלֶק כְּחֵלֶק share and share (alike), in equal portions, Deuteronomy 18:8. [“Spoken of the portions of the sacrifices allotted to the Levites.”] Specially
(a) a portion of spoil, Genesis 14:24; 1 Samuel 30:24 whence used of the spoil itself, poetically for the spoilers, depredators, אַנְשֵׁי חֵלֶק. Job 17:5, לְחֵלֶק יַגִּיד רֵעִים “(who) betrays his friends to the spoilers.”
(b) a portion of a field, the field itself, 2 Kings 9:10, 36 2 Kings 9:36, 37 2 Kings 9:37(so with the letters transposed Ch. חַקְלָא and Eth. ሐቅል፡ a field), hence land (as opposed to sea), Amos 7:4.
(c) חֵלֶק יַעֲקֹב Jehovah is called the portion of Jacob, because they were allotted to be his worshippers. Jeremiah 10:16, 51:19 comp. Deuteronomy 4:19 Psal. 16:5 142:6 and on the other hand חֵלֶק יְהֹוָה is applied to the people of Israel, whom God has allotted to Himself to be protected and cared for. Deuteronomy 32:9.
(d) אֶת־פְּלוֹנִי, יֵשׁ לִי חֵלֶק וְנַחֲלָה עִם “I have a lot and inheritance,” i.e. fellowship or common possession “with any one;” Deuteronomy 10:9, 12:12 14:27, 29 Deuteronomy 14:29; 2 Samuel 20:1; 1 Kings 12:16; Psalms 50:18.
(e) the lot of a man in this life, μοῖρα, Ecclesiastes 2:10, 3:22 5:17 Job 20:29, 31:2, חֵלֶק אֱלוֹהַּ “the allotment designed of God.”
(3) [Helek], pr.n. of a son of Gilead, Numbers 26:30; Joshua 17:2 of which the patron. is חֶלְקִי. Nu. l. c.
the Third Week after Easter