the Week of Proper 21 / Ordinary 26
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #3442 - יֵשׁוּעַ
Jeshua = “he is saved”
1) son of Nun of the tribe of Ephraim and successor to Moses as the leader of the children of Israel; led the conquest of Canaan (noun proper masculine)
2) son of Jehozadak and high priest after the restoration (noun proper masculine)
3) a priest in the time of David who had charge of the 9th course (noun proper masculine)
4) a Levite in the reign of Hezekiah (noun proper masculine)
5) head of a Levitical house which returned from captivity in Babylon (noun proper masculine)
6) father of a builder of the wall of Jerusalem in the time of Nehemiah (noun proper masculine)
7) a town in southern Judah reinhabited by the people of Judah after the return from captivity (noun proper locative)
יֵשׁוּעַ [Jeshua], a contracted form of the pr.n. יֵהוֹשֻׁעַ used in the later Hebrew, Gr. Ἰησοῦς.
(1) of Joshua, the leader of the Israelites, Nehemiah 8:17.
(2) of a high priest of the same name; see יְהוֹשֻׁעַ No. 2, Ezra 2:2, 3:2 Nehemiah 7:7.
(3) pr.n. of other men, mentioned in the books of Chronicles, Ezra, and Nehemiah.
[“(4) a city of Judah, Nehemiah 11:26.”]
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.