Click to donate today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #3500 - יֶתֶר
Jether = “abundance”
1) father-in-law of Moses
2) oldest son of Gideon
3) father of Jephunneh and the chief of a line of warriors of the line of Asher
4) father of Amasa, the commander of Absalom’s army
5) son of Jada, a descendant of Hezron, of the tribe of Judah
6) a son of Ezra, a Judaite
יֶתֶר with suff. יִתְרוֹ m.
(1) a cord, a rope, prop. something hanging over, redundant, so called from hanging over, hanging down; see the root No.1. (Arab. وَتَرُ id. a bow string, harp string), Jud. 167 Judges 16:7, seq. Specially
(a) used of the cords which in pitching a tent fasten the curtains to the stakes. Metaph. Job 4:21, נִסַּע יִתְרָם בָּם “their cords are torn away,” their tents are removed, i.e. they die (comp. the metaphor of a tent, verse 19 Job 4:19; Isaiah 38:12).
(b) of the string of a bow, Psalms 11:2.
(c) of a cord used as a bridle; Job 30:11 כתיב, יִתְרוֹ פִתַּח “he looses his bridle,” or coll. “they loose their bridle,” i.e. they are unbridled, unrestrained; קרי, יִתְרִי they loose my bridle, i.e. the rein which I put on them, or the reverence owed to me.
(2) abundance, Psalms 17:14; Job 22:20 adv. abundantly, very, Isaiah 56:12; Daniel 8:9 עַל יֶתֶר abundantly, enough and more, Psalms 31:24.
(3) remainder, rest, residue; יֶתֶר הָעָם the rest of the people, Judges 7:6; 2 Samuel 10:10, יֶתֶר דִּבְרֵי שׁ׳ the rest of the acts of Solomon, 1 Kings 11:41 compare 1 Kings 14:19. But Joel 1:4, יֶתֶר הָאַרְבֶּה “that which the locust has left.”
(4) that which exceeds measure or limit, whence adv. besides (i.q. יוֹתֵר 2, c); hence eminence, excellence, Proverbs 17:7. Concr. that which is excellent, or first, Genesis 49:3.
(5) [Jether, Jethro], pr.n. m.
(a) Judges 8:20.
(b) 1 Chronicles 2:32.
(c) 1 Chronicles 4:17.
(d) 1 Chronicles 7:38, for which there is יִתְרָן verse 37 1 Chronicles 7:37.
(e) the father-in-law of Moses, elsewhere called יִתְרוֹ Exodus 4:18.
(f) 1 Kings 2:5, for which there is יִתְרָא 2 Samuel 17:26. Patron. יִתְרִי 2 Samuel 23:38.
the Fourth Week after Epiphany