free while helping to build churches and support pastors in Uganda.
Click here to learn more!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #4601 - מַעֲכָה
Maachathites = “pressure (literally she has pressed)”
1) father of Achish, king of Gath at the beginning of Solomon’s reign (noun proper masculine)
2) father of Hanan, one of David’s mighty warriors (noun proper masculine)
3) a Simeonite, father of Shephatiah, prince of his tribe in the reign of David (noun proper masculine)
4) son of Nahor by concubine Reumah (noun proper masculine)
5) daughter of king Talmai of Geshur, wife of David, and mother of Absalom (noun proper feminine)
6) daughter of Absalom, wife of king Rehoboam of Judah, and mother of king Abijam of Judah (noun proper feminine)
7) concubine of Caleb the son of Hezron (noun proper feminine)
8) wife of Machir of the tribe of Manasseh (noun proper feminine)
9) wife of Jehiel, father of Gibeon (noun proper feminine)
10) a mercenary people hired to fight David (noun proper)
מַעֲכָה & מַעֲכָת Joshua 13:13 (“oppression”), [Maachah], pr.n.
(1) of a town and region at the foot of Hermon, near Geshur, a district of Syria (see גְּשׁוּר and גְּשׁוּרִי No. 1 ), 2 Samuel 10:6, 2 Samuel 10:8; Deuteronomy 3:13. Hence the neighbouring tract of Syria was called אֲרַם מַעֲכָה 1 Chronicles 19:6. Gent. noun מַעֲכָתִי Deuteronomy 3:14; Joshua 12:5, 13:11 2 Kings 25:23. Comp. בֵּית מַעֲכָה and אָבֵל בֵּית מַעֲכָה.
(2) of several men
(a) 1 Kings 2:39; 1 Chronicles 11:43, 27:16 called also מָעוֹךְ, which see.
(b) Genesis 22:24 where however the sex is doubtful;-and of women, as
(c) the wife of Rehoboam, 1 Kings 15:2, 10:13 2 Chronicles 11:20 called also, 13:2, מִיכָיָהוּ.
(d) 2 Samuel 3:3.
(e) 1 Chronicles 2:48.
(f) 1 Chronicles 7:15, 16 1 Chronicles 7:16.
the Third Week after Epiphany