Click here to join the effort!
the LORD. Hebrew. Jehovah. App-4 .
heaven = heavens, and elsewhere.
Elisha = my God [is] salvation. See his call (1 Kings 19:16 ) ten years before.
from Gilgal. The reverse route taken by Israel on entering the Land.
thy soul = thyself. Hebrew. nephesh. App-13 . down. Therefore Gilgal in 2 Kings 2:1 cannot be the well-known Gilgal near Jericho, but another between Tibneh and Shiloh. See 2 Kings 4:38 . Gilgal = circle; and there may have been several such.
from thy head = from over thee: "head, "put by Figure of speech Synecdoche (of Part), App-6 , for himself".
men. Hebrew. 'ish . App-14 .
double portion. See note on 2 Kings 2:15 .
spirit. Hebrew. ruach. App-9 . Put by Figure of speech Metonymy (of Cause) for the gifts and operations of the Spirit of God.
nevertheless. The verse needs no italics.
see = clearly see.
a whirlwind. Not a fiery chariot, according to a certain hymn. Compare 2 Kings 2:1 .
and. Note the Figure of speech Polysyndeton ( App-6 ) in 2 Kings 2:12 .
My father. Figure of speech Epizeuxis. App-6 . The repetition = my revered, or beloved father.
the LORD God = Jehovah Elohim; or. Where is Jehovah the God of Elijah? After this the Hebrew text has ' aph hu = " even he". The Vulgate reads this as the end of the question. But the Massorites, by the accent ( athnach), throw it on to the next sentence, "and when even he smote the waters", &c.
they parted. The first of sixteen miracles. See note on 2 Kings 2:15 .
over. The 19th Seder ends here. See note on p. 366.
doth rest = hath rested. Compare 1 Peter 4:14 . Rest in "double portion" according to 2 Kings 2:9 . Seen in the fact that Elijah wrought eight miracles and Elisha sixteen, and all were parables in action.
Elijah's eight Miracles (1 and 2 Kings).
1. Shutting heaven (1 Kings 17:1 ).
2. Oil multiplied (1 Kings 17:14 ).
3. Widow's son raised (1 Kings 17:22-11.17.23 ).
4. Fire from heaven (1 Kings 18:38 ).
5. Rain (1 Kings 18:45 ).
6. Fire on 50 (2 Kings 1:10 ).
7. Fire on 50 (2 Kings 1:12 ).
8. Jordan (2 Kings 2:8 ).
Elisha's sixteen Miracles (2 Kings).
1. Jordan divided (2 Kings 2:14 ).
2. Waters healed (2 Kings 2:21 ).
3. Bears from wood (2 Kings 2:24 ).
4. Water for kings (2 Kings 3:20 ).
5. Oil for widow (2 Kings 4:1-12.4.6 ).
6. Gift of son (2 Kings 4:16-12.4.17 ).
7. Raising from dead (2 Kings 4:36 ).
8. Healing ofpottage (2 Kings 4:41 ).
9. Bread multiplied (2 Kings 4:43 ).
10. Naaman healed (2 Kings 5:10 ).
11. Gehazi smitten (2 Kings 5:27 ).
12. Iron to swim (2 Kings 6:6 ).
13. Sight to blind (2 Kings 6:17 ).
14. Smiting blindness(2 Kings 6:18 )
15. Restoring sight (2 Kings 6:20 ).
16. One after death (2 Kings 13:21 ).
cruse. Occurs only here.
cast the salt. Elisha's second miracle.
Beth-el. One of the seats of Israel's calf-worship (1 Kings 12:26-11.12.30 ).
little children = young men. Hebrew. na'ar. Used of Isaac (twenty-eight years old); Joseph (thirty-nine); Rehoboam (forty).
Go up, &c. An open insult, avenged by Elisha ' s God in a way suited for that dispensation, though not for this. "Go up" may have referred to Elijah's translation; and thus, a blasphemous insult outraging Jehovah's own act.
bald head. Baldness premature. Elisha lived fifty years longer (2 Kings 13:14 ).
go up, &c. Figure of speech Epizeuxis. App-6 .
bears. See 1 Samuel 17:34-9.17.36 .
children = progeny. Not the same word as 2 Kings 2:23 .
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Bullinger, Ethelbert William. "Commentary on 2 Kings 2". "Bullinger's Companion bible Notes". https://www.studylight.org/
the Second Week after Epiphany