Consider helping today!
The Fall of Ahithophel
Absalom follows the advice of Hushai rather than that of Ahithophel, who thereupon hangs himself. David retreats to Mahanaim.
3. The death of David would put an end to all resistance, and bring about peace.
7. At this time] RV ’this time.’ Hushai contrasts this suggestion of Ahithophel with his former advice (2 Samuel 16:21), which was good.
8. A man of war] Ahithophel’s advice, though plausible, was not sound. David was too experienced a warrior to be caught unprepared.
16. Hushai was afraid that Absalom might change his mind and be guided by the advice of Ahithophel.
17. Went and told] RV ’used to go and tell.’ This v. describes how communication between Hushai and David was regularly carried on.
23. Ahithophel saw clearly that following the advice of Hushai meant the failure of the conspiracy.
24. Mahanaim] E. of Jordan, near the Jabbok.
25. Israelite] more probably ’Ishmaelite’ (1 Chronicles 2:17). Abigail was a sister of David (1 Chronicles 2:15-16), and consequently Amasa was his nephew: cp. 2 Samuel 19:13.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on 2 Samuel 17". "Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://www.studylight.org/
the Fifth Week after Easter