Click here to learn more!
Exhortations, Rebukes, and Benediction
2. Unreasonable] almost ’outrageous.’ Faith] better, ’the Faith.’
3. Evil] RV ’the evil one.’
5. Patient waiting for] better, ’the patience of.’
6. Evidently disorder in the Church had increased since the First Epistle was written. Withdraw yourselves] or, ’shun.’
8. Cp. 1 Thessalonians 2:9.
9. Power] better, ’the right.’ We have the right to be supported, but for the sake of example we waived it in your case (1 Corinthians 9:3-18).
11. Working not at all.. busy-bodies] i.e. neglecting their own work (in view of a supposed immediate Advent), but interfering with that of others.
16. By all means] better, ’in all places,’ or, ’in all, ways.’
17. St. Paul wrote the body of his letters through a secretary, but he added a few words in his own large handwriting, in order that his correspondents might know them to be genuine (1 Corinthians 16:21; 2 Thessalonians 2:2; Colossians 4:18). So I write] better, ’this is my handwriting.’
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on 2 Thessalonians 3". "John Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://www.studylight.org/
the Week of Proper 25 / Ordinary 30