Farewell Exhortations of Moses to the People and Joshua. He Delivers the Law to the Priests. The Assembling of the Congregation
1. These words] i.e. the following words.
2. Go out and come in] i.e. perform the office of a leader: see on Numbers 27:17.
3. Jehovah is the real Leader of the hosts of Israel: Joshua is the human instrument: cp. Numbers 23:22.
9. This law] i.e. the Deuteronomio law, especially that contained in Deuteronomy 12-26 : see intro. to Deuteronomy 12.
10. The Feast of Tabernacles was at the beginning of the year of release: see on Leviticus 23:23-43, and cp. Leviticus 25:9. On the reading of the law at this season see e.g. Nehemiah 8.
14. Cp. Numbers 27:12-23 and notes.
16. Go a whoring] see on Exodus 34:15.
19. A witness for me] When the threatened punishment had fallen, the song would remain to testify that God, who foresaw their apostasy, had warned them against it: see Deuteronomy 31:21. The song would also be a means of bringing them to repentance.
26. In the side of] i.e. beside. The tables with the Ten Commandments were kept in the ark: see on Exodus 16:34.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on Deuteronomy 31". "John Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://www.studylight.org/
the First Week after Epiphany