Click to donate today!
Practical Exhortations (continued)
In this chapter the people are warned against temptations to idolatry and enjoined to avoid contact with their idolatrous neighbours: see on Exodus 23:32-33; Numbers 25:16-18.
1. On the tribes inhabiting Canaan see on Numbers 13:21.
5. Images] RV ’pillars,’ or obelisks. Groves] RV ’Asherim’: see on Exodus 34:13.
6. Special people] RV ’peculiar people’: see on Exodus 19:5.
13. On the promise of material prosperity as the reward of obedience, see on Exodus 20:12.
19. Temptations] ’provings’ or trials, the afflictions that test and reveal character: see Deuteronomy 8:2, and cp. James 1:2, James 1:12.
20. The hornet] see on Exodus 23:28.
25. Nor take it unto thee] Achan did so and brought trouble upon himself and Israel: see Joshua 7.
26. Abomination] i.e. an idol, as in Deuteronomy 16:22. A cursed thing] RV ’a devoted thing,’ a thing laid under the ban of extermination. The verb from the same root is rendered utterly destroy in Deuteronomy 7:2: see on Leviticus 27:28.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on Deuteronomy 7". "Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://www.studylight.org/
the Week of Proper 15 / Ordinary 20