The Tabernacle Erected
1-16. Moses is commanded to uprear the Tabernacle and consecrate it, together with its furniture, and the priests by anointing them.
2. On the first day of the first month] i.e. of the month Abib (see on Exodus 12:2, Exodus 12:41) in the second year after the exodus from Egypt (Exodus 40:17). They left Egypt on the fifteenth day of Abib, and arrived at Sinai in the third month: see Exodus 19:1.
4. The things to be set upon it] i.e. the shewbread (see Exodus 40:23 and on Exodus 25:30).
5. Before the ark] in a line with it but outside the Holy of Holies: see Exodus 40:26, and see on Exodus 30:6.
9. Anoint the tabernacle] cp. Exodus 30:26-29.
12. See Exodus 28:41; Exodus 29:4, Exodus 29:7.
17-33. The Uprearing of the Tabernacle.
19. The tent over the tabernacle] Heb. 'the tent over the dwelling.' See on Exodus 25:9, Exodus 25:26 intro.
20. The testimony] the two tables of stone: see on Exodus 16:34; Exodus 16:21. Vail of the covering] RV 'veil of the screen': see on Exodus 26:3-33.
28. Hanging at the door] RV 'screen of the door': see Exodus 26:36.
29. Moses offers the first daily sacrifice (Exodus 29:40).
33. The court round about the tabernacle] see Exodus 27:9-19.
34-35. The Dwelling being prepared, the cloud descends and the glory of the Lord occupies the sanctuary.
34. A cloud] RV 'the cloud': it is the same cloud that has been so frequently mentioned already: see Exodus 13:21, Exodus 19:9 and note there, Exodus 33:9. The glory of the Lord] see Exodus 16:10; Exodus 24:17.
35. Cp. Leviticus 16:2; 1 Kings 8:10-11; 2 Chronicles 5:13-14; 2 Chronicles 7:2.
36-38. See on Exodus 13:21, and cp. Numbers 9:15-23.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on Exodus 40". "John Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://www.studylight.org/
the Second Week after Epiphany