Click to donate today!
Sentence on the Nations. Blessings in Store for God’s People
These chapters are now generally considered non-Isaianic and referred to the period of the exile, on two grounds: (a) the literary style is unlike Isaiah’s. (b) The strong feeling against Edom points to a date subsequent to the capture of Jerusalem by Nebuchadnezzar, when the Edomites exulted in the city’s fall and sided against the Jews, conduct which provoked bitter resentment (Obadiah 1:10-16; Lamentations 4:21-22; Psalms 137:7).
1-4. The judgment upon the nations,
5-17. and upon Edom in particular.
Isaiah 35. The blessings in store for God’s redeemed people.
4. Cp. 1 Isaiah 3:10.
5. Shall be bathed] RV ’hath drunk its fill.’ Idumea] RV ’Edom.’
6. Bozrah] a strongly fortified city of Edom (Isaiah 63:1; Amos 1:12; Jeremiah 49:13). See the same imagery Jeremiah 46:10. The men slain by divine vengeance are compared to beasts offered in sacrifice.
7. Unicorns] RV ’wild-oxen.’ Come down] i.e. to the shambles.
8. Controversy] ’quarrel.’ The calamity of Edom is a punishment from Jehovah for its hostility to Zion.
9, 10. Imagery suggested by the fate of Sodom and Gomorrah (Jeremiah 49:18), and by the volcanic character of the land of Edom.
11-15. A graphic picture of a desolate land haunted by wild and uncanny creatures.
11. Cormorant.. bittern] RV ’pelican.. porcupine.’ Stones] RV ’plummet,’ implying that the work of destruction will be as thorough as that of building generally is. Confusion.. emptiness] The words are those of Genesis 1:2, and suggest a return to primeval chaos.
13. Dragons.. owls] RV ’jackals.. ostriches’: cp. Isaiah 13:21, Isaiah 13:22.;
14. wild.. islands] RV ’wolves’ (Isaiah 13:22). Satyr] see on Isaiah 13:21. Screech owl] Heb. Lilith, the name of a night-demon or vampire RV’night-monster.’
15. Great owl] RV ’arrowsnake.’
16. Seek, etc.] An invitation to future generations to compare the event with the prediction, and note its precise fulfilment. Fail] RV ’be missing.’
17. God, who assigns to nations their territories (Acts 17:26), has allotted Edom to the desert creatures for ever.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on Isaiah 34". "Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://www.studylight.org/
the Week of Proper 8 / Ordinary 13