Click here to get started today!
The Gadarene Demoniac. Jairus’ Daughter
1-20. The Gadarene (Gerasene) demoniac (Matthew 8:28; Luke 8:26). See on Mt; Mk’s account is much the fullest.
1. Gadarenes] RV ’Gerasenes.’
9. Mk and Lk (not Mt) state that the man called himself ’Legion,’ because he believed himself to be possessed by numerous devils.
18-20. Our Lord thought the quiet of home life better for the man than the excitement of going about with Him. He told him to proclaim the miracle, because in this mainly Gentile district there was no danger of popular excitement.
20. Decapolis] see on Matthew 4:25.
21-43. The woman with the issue, and Jairus’ daughter (Matthew 9:18; Luke 8:40). See on Mt.
30. Knowing that virtue (peculiar to Mk and Lk).
37. Mk and Lk (not Mt) mention that Peter, James and John witnessed this miracle. These three were also privileged to be present at the Transfiguration and the Agony in Gethsemane.
41. Talitha cumi] (peculiar to Mk). St. Mark heard from St. Peter’s lips the exact Aramaic words spoken by Jesus.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on Mark 5". "John Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://www.studylight.org/
the Week of Proper 12 / Ordinary 17