Click to donate today!
Measures to Supplement the Population of Jerusalem
1. This v. resumes the subject of the paucity of population in Jerusalem: see Nehemiah 7:4. The rulers were already residing in the capital, and means were now taken to transport thither a proportion of the commons that had made their homes in the country towns (Nehemiah 11:3). The city had received fortifications; but these were useless unless they were manned.
3. The province] i.e. Judæa: Ezra 5:8.
4. At Jerusalem, etc.] The list that follows apparently enumerates the provincial families that removed to Jerusalem. It likewise occurs, with some variations in the names and figures, in 1 Chronicles 9:3.
9. Second over the city] presumably second to Joel: cp. Nehemiah 11:17. But some render, ’over the second quarter of the city’: cp. 2 Kings 22:14; Zephaniah 1:10.
14. The son of one of the great men] RV ’the son of Haggedolim.’
16. The outward business of] Perhaps the judicial administration described in 2 Chronicles 19:8-10; 1 Chronicles 26:29.
17. Was the principal, etc] i.e. led the praises of the Temple singers after prayer had been made. The second] i.e. to Mattaniah: cp. Nehemiah 11:9.
20. This v. interrupts the account of the residents at Jerusalem: it should precede Nehemiah 11:25.
22. The overseer, etc.] RV ’The overseer.. the son of Micha, of the sons of Asaph, the singers, over the business,’ etc. The words over the business are connected with overseer. The business meant is the conduct of the Temple services.
23. For it was, etc.] RM ’for there was a commandment.. and a sure ordinance concerning the singers’: The king] Artaxerxes: cp. Ezra 7:24.
24. Was at the king’s hand] Possibly Pethahiah was a royal officer, subordinate to Nehemiah, having charge of civil, as distinct from ecclesiastical, matters.
25. The villages, with their fields] better, ’the villages in their fields,’ i.e. the unwalled towns (Leviticus 25:31). Most of the names that follow occur in Joshua 15:13.
31. From Geba dwelt] RV ’dwelt from Geba onward.’
35. The valley of craftsmen] RM ’Gehaharashim,’ another locality.
36. And of the Levites, etc] RV and of the Levites, certain courses in Judah’ (i.e. formerly reckoned to Judah) ’were joined to Benjamin.’
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on Nehemiah 11". "Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://www.studylight.org/
the Sixth Week after Easter