Consider helping today!
Attempts of Sanballat to hinder the completion of the Walls
2. Ono] near Lod (Ezra 2:33), now Kefr Ana, some 25 m. from Jerusalem.
5. An open letter] in order that its contents might reach and intimidate others.
6. According to these words] better, ’and so forth’ (and so in Nehemiah 6:7), the quotation from the letter in Nehemiah 6:6 ending with king.
10. Who was shut up] perhaps meaning ’ceremonially unclean’: cp. Jeremiah 36:5. Shemaiah probably hoped that Nehemiah would conclude that only for the most urgent reasons would he under such circumstances make the proposal described. Within the temple] i.e. to seek asylum there (as Joab fled to the tent of the Lord, 1 Kings 2:28).
11. Being as I am] Only the priests might enter the Temple buildings.
15. Elul] The 6th month (August-September) of 445 b.c.
18. Arab.. Meshullam] see Ezra 2:5; Nehemiah 3:4.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on Nehemiah 6". "Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://www.studylight.org/
the <>Sixth Sunday after Easter