Millions miss a meal or two each day.
Help us change that! Click to donate today!
The Duties of the Levites on the March
2. Kohath seems to have been the second son of Levi (Numbers 3:17), but his family is mentioned first, because Moses and Aaron belonged to it (Numbers 3:19 cp. Exodus 6:18, Exodus 6:20), and because it had charge of the most sacred furniture, the ark, etc.
3. From thirty years old] In Numbers 8:24 we read that the time of service was from the age of twenty-five. And in 2 Chronicles 31:17; Ezra 3:8 it is from the age of twenty: cp. 1 Chronicles 23:3, 1 Chronicles 23:24-27. The practice seems to have varied at different times.
4-20. The Kohathites carry the ark and the sacred vessels of the tabernacle.
5. The covering veil is the curtain which screened off the Holy of Holies: see Exodus 26:33.
7. The continual bread] i.e. the shewbread: see on Leviticus 24:5-9.
11. The golden altar] i.e. the altar of incense. In Leviticus 24:13 the altar is the altar of burnt offering (see on Exodus 30:1-10).
15. Lest they die] cp. 2 Samuel 6:6, 2 Samuel 6:7.
18. Cut not off] see that you do not expose them to any risk of death by touching the most holy things: cp. Romans 14:15.
20. They shall not go in] i.e. the Kohathites.
21-28. The Gershonites take charge of the curtains of the tabernacle and the court. As these were of great weight two ox-wagons were employed in their transport: see Numbers 7:7.
29-33. The Merarites take charge of the framework of the tabernacle and employ four ox-wagons: see Numbers 7:8.
34-49. The numbers given here are those of the Levites on active service, between thirty and fifty years of age. The total number of the tribe was given in Numbers 3:39.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on Numbers 4". "Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://www.studylight.org/
the Week of Proper 21 / Ordinary 26