Click here to get started today!
Kings and Fathers
3. Cp. the prodigal son (Luke 15).
6. His transgression is the snare which catches and ruins him.
9. If a wise man has a lawsuit with a fool the latter will exhibit the most diverse moods, but one thing he will not do, and that is to listen quietly.
10. RM ’But the upright care for his soul.’
12. They argue that truth does not pay.
13. To the poor and ’the oppressor’ (RV), to all classes alike, God gives the light of life (Psalms 13:3; Psalms 38:10).
17. ’Better the child weep than the father.’
18. The vision of the prophet (Isaiah 1:1) and the instruction of the law deterred the people from ’casting off restraint’ (RV). Morality requires the safeguard of religion.
19. Sirach 33:24-29 recommends blows.
21. LXX has, ’He who has been luxurious from a child will become a servant, and in the end will be wretched.’
24. This does not mean a man who goes shares in the booty, but one who knows the thief, hears the adjuration to testify (Leviticus 5:1), and fails to respond.
27. ’Birds of a feather flock together.’
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on Proverbs 29". "John Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://www.studylight.org/
the Week of Proper 7 / Ordinary 12