Click to donate today!
Unholy Passion. Hallowed Love
A dissuasive from immorality addressed exclusively to men. The two leading thoughts are (1) the disastrous consequences of adultery; loss of honour, property, life, opportunity of repentance, and (2) the sufficiency and desirableness of conjugal love.
6. Read, ’Lest she should ponder the path of life, her ways are unstable, and she knoweth not.’ So far is she from entering on the level path which leads to life, her ways are unstable and she is reckless about it.
9-11. All the fruits of a man’s labour are preyed on by the false-hearted woman and her confederates:
’Gaming, Women and Wine,
While they laugh, they make a man pine.’
14. He has only just escaped being brought before the assembly of the people, who would have sentenced him to death (Leviticus 20:19; Deuteronomy 22:22).
15-17. A man’s pleasures should be sought at home. Read, with RV, ’Should thy springs be dispersed abroad, and rivers of waters in the streets?’
18. It is blessed when enjoyed legitimately.
19. The opening words are an exclamation: ’Lovely hind! Charming wild goat!’
22. He has had the instruction, but took no heed of it. Now it is too late.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on Proverbs 5". "Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://www.studylight.org/
the Week of Proper 7 / Ordinary 12