free while helping to build churches and support pastors in Uganda.
Click here to learn more!
The Futility of Sin
A. As we continue the study of Hosea this morning - chapter 4 marks a turn that continues through the rest of the book.
1. Hos_8:7 a (NASB) Give us a hint as to the content of that redirection: For they sow the wind, And they reap the whirlwind.
a) As we know the Lord's people has turned their back on Him.
(1) As a result, their lives, and even their nation were falling apart.
2. Pro_1:24-33 (NASB) "Because I called, and you refused; I stretched out my hand, and no one paid attention;
25 And you neglected all my counsel, And did not want my reproof;
27 When your dread comes like a storm, And your calamity comes on like a whirlwind, When distress [and] anguish come on you.
28 "Then they will call on me, but I will not answer; They will seek me diligently, but they shall not find me,
29 Because they hated knowledge, And did not choose the fear of the Lord.
30 "They would not accept my counsel, They spurned all my reproof.
31 "So they shall eat of the fruit of their own way, And be satiated with their own devices.
32 "For the waywardness of the naive shall kill them, And the complacency of fools shall destroy them.
33 "But he who listens to me shall live securely, And shall be at ease from the dread of evil."
a) These verses in Proverbs 1 - sum up what the Lord is going to describe in detail in the remaining chapters of Hosea!
(1) Israel and Judah had blown it big-time. And the Lord is going to tell them exactly how!
(a) We have heard much of this in our studies of Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Daniel - so we will condense as much as we can.
II. Hos_4:1-2 (NASB) LISTEN TO THE WORD OF THE LORD, O SONS OF ISRAEL, FOR THE LORD HAS A CASE AGAINST THE INHABITANTS OF THE LAND, BECAUSE THERE IS NO FAITHFULNESS OR KINDNESS OR KNOWLEDGE OF GOD IN THE LAND.
2 [THERE IS] SWEARING, DECEPTION, MURDER, STEALING, AND ADULTERY. THEY EMPLOY VIOLENCE, SO THAT BLOODSHED FOLLOWS BLOODSHED.
A. I think we can agree that this describes not only America but also many nations today.
1. There is no faithfulness or kindness or knowledge of God in the land.
a) And as a result every kind of sin and violence exists!
III. Hos_4:6-10 (NASB) MY PEOPLE ARE DESTROYED FOR LACK OF KNOWLEDGE. BECAUSE YOU HAVE REJECTED KNOWLEDGE, I ALSO WILL REJECT YOU FROM BEING MY PRIEST. SINCE YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN THE LAW OF YOUR GOD, I ALSO WILL FORGET YOUR CHILDREN.
7 THE MORE THEY MULTIPLIED, THE MORE THEY SINNED AGAINST ME; I WILL CHANGE THEIR GLORY INTO SHAME.
8 THEY FEED ON THE SIN OF MY PEOPLE, AND DIRECT THEIR DESIRE TOWARD THEIR INIQUITY.
9 AND IT WILL BE, LIKE PEOPLE, LIKE PRIEST; SO I WILL PUNISH THEM FOR THEIR WAYS, AND REPAY THEM FOR THEIR DEEDS.
10 AND THEY WILL EAT, BUT NOT HAVE ENOUGH; THEY WILL PLAY THE HARLOT, BUT NOT INCREASE, BECAUSE THEY HAVE STOPPED GIVING HEED TO THE LORD.
A. It was the sacred duty of the priests to guard the Law of Moses and to teach the commandments of the Lord and they had failed to do it!
1. It seems the priest were blaming the people for the Lord's judgment of the land, but the Lord is saying, "Like priest - like nation."
a) We see this in every form of leadership. If a leader has a low standard set for his/herself - most likely everyone under there care will adopt the same philosophy.
(1) It doesn't take long to see if a department flourishes or fails under someone's care.
(a) And the Lord's reply to His leaders - the priests, "Don't blame the people." "It is you I hold accountable."
2. You have heard me say that the Lord "tightens the leash" on those he needs to, but gives even greater freedom to those He can trust.
a) Here is a verse that confirms that.
IV. Hos_4:16 (NASB) SINCE ISRAEL IS STUBBORN LIKE A STUBBORN HEIFER, CAN THE LORD NOW PASTURE THEM LIKE A LAMB IN A LARGE FIELD?
A. The lamb is turned out free with lots of room to roam, but the stubborn heifer had to be bridled and controlled!
1. 1Sa_15:22-23 (NASB) And Samuel said, (Speaking to King Saul about his keeping part of the spoils of the Amalekites) "Has the Lord as much delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices As in obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, [And] to heed than the fat of rams.
23 "For rebellion is as the sin of divination, And insubordination is as iniquity and idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the Lord, He has also rejected you from [being] king."
a) Life is just so much easier of we just do what the Lord asks us to do!
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Brown, John. "Commentary on Hosea 4". John Brown's Commentary on Selected Books of the Bible. https://www.studylight.org/
the Week of Proper 21 / Ordinary 26