Consider helping today!
Charles Buck Theological Dictionary
All-Sufficiency of God
Is that power or attribute of his nature whereby he is able to communicate as much blessedness to his creatures as he is pleased to make them capable of receiving. As his self-sufficiency is that whereby he has enough in himself to denominate him completely blessed, as a God of infinite perfection; so his all- sufficiency is that by which he hath enough in himself to satisfy the most enlarged desires of his creatures, and to make them completely blessed.
We practically deny this perfection,
1. when we are discontented with our present condition, and desire more than God has allotted for us, Genesis 3:5 . Proverbs 19:3 .
2. When we seek blessings of what kind soever in an indirect way, as though God were not able to bestow them upon us in his own way, or in the use of lawful means, Genesis 27:35 .
3. When we use unlawful means to escape imminent dangers, 1 Samuel 21:13 . Gen 20:26
4. When we distrust his providence, though we had large experience of his appearing for us in various instances, 1 Samuel 27:1 . Psalms 78:19 . 2 Chronicles 16:8 . 2 Chronicles 14:9; 2 Chronicles 14:13 . Joshua 7:7; Joshua 9:1-27 :
5. When we doubt of the truth or certain accomplishment of the promises, Genesis 18:12 . Ps 77: 74. Isaiah 49:14 .
6. When we decline great services though called to them by God, under a pretense of our unfitness for them, Jeremiah 1:6; Jeremiah 1:8 .
The consideration of this doctrine should lead us,
1. To seek happiness in God alone, and not in human things, Jeremiah 2:13 .
2. To commit all our wants and trials to him, 1 Samuel 30:6 . Hebrews 11:19 . 2 Corinthians 12:8-9 .
3. To be courageous in the midst of danger and opposition, Psalms 27:1 .
4. To be satisfied with his dispensations, Romans 8:28 .
5. To persevere in the path of duty, however difficult, Genesis 17:1-27; Genesis 18:1-33; Genesis 19:1-38; Genesis 20:1-18; Genesis 21:1-34; Genesis 22:1-24; Genesis 23:1-20; Genesis 24:1-67; Genesis 25:1-34; Genesis 26:1-35; Genesis 27:1 .
Ridgley's Body of Div. ques. 17. Saurin's Ser. ser. 5. vol. 1:; BARROW'S WORKS, vol. 2: ser. 11.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Buck, Charles. Entry for 'All-Sufficiency of God'. Charles Buck Theological Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/cbd/a/all-sufficiency-of-god.html. 1802.